Does This Make Sense?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonero

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just set up a 20g tank.  I put in a used whisper filter from my other tank (happened to be good timing, just replaced it) as biomedia to speed up the cycling process.

Then I dumped in a whole bunch of blackworms thinking they would produce ammonia + eventually die to add to the bacteria in my new tank, because I can't afford to buy bottled ammonia and a kit but don't want to kill anything that I don't regard as "fish food".

Is there any reason this does not make sense?  i.e. blackworms too insignificant (though I put a lot), won't die easily/quickly enough, will cause worse problems from dying than I am aware of.....

Another potential option I have is to put frozen krill or bloodworms into my tank, as I already have plenty.  Could these hypothetically help with tank cycling even though they are not still alive?

If yes, would it make sense to go ahead and try it now?  Or, is it more important that I be careful not to overload my ammonia levels?  I read in the pinned post that one should not over-do it, but as I am not using chemicals I am unsure how I should apply that information to this situation.

I know I need to monitor this by simply getting my water checked.  However, I am in the unfortunate position right now of being *insanely* busy and unable to go back to my LFS for at least a week or more + needing to cycle this tank as quickly as humanly possible.  I would appreciate it greatly if anybody has the time to help me out and contribute to my fish-keeping education!  =)

Why does this have to be cycled "as quick as humanely possible"? It seems to me that you're putting yourself under considerable pressure when you don't have the basic tools to do the job, e.g. Test kit, ammonia.

You have taken a filter from another tank so what filter is in that now?m surely you've haven't replaced a cycled filter with a un-cycled one?

The best method of fishless cycling is just to use pure ammonia--make sure there' no cleansers such as soap in it.  Your use of the biomedia is a big plus and should quicken the cycling.   Ammonia is not expensive if you can find it in a local hardware store.   Just follow the fishless cycle procedure outlined on this site.  

Lunar Jetman said:
Why does this have to be cycled "as quick as humanely possible"? It seems to me that you're putting yourself under considerable pressure when you don't have the basic tools to do the job, e.g. Test kit, ammonia.

You have taken a filter from another tank so what filter is in that now?m surely you've haven't replaced a cycled filter with a un-cycled one?

My boyfriend + LFS guy insisted that I should put in a new filter (~3mo deep), and that it would be fine because my tank is filled with good bacteria and biomedia... was that bad advice?!  Before switching it, everything in the tank was fine.  I will be devastated if everything dies..

One of the newer fish in that tank needs to be moved to a tank that is bigger + doesn't have organisms that will devour the food before he has a chance to get to it.  (Apple snails will eat anything, and all they do is eat!)  I'm worried about him staying in there much longer, with how skiddish and picky he has turned out to be.  And I really don't want to give him back to the LFS - he's an oddball and they don't seem to know much about his care.  I'd rather put in my due diligence learning about him and move him ASAP.

Edit: Also, I might note, I just have the old filter insert sitting in the new tank, as it is from a different type of filter + I'd have to break it into pieces to fit any of it into the new filter.  I don't specifically need to place it in my new filter, right?

simonero said:

My boyfriend + LFS guy insisted that I should put in a new filter (~3mo deep), and that it would be fine because my tank is filled with good bacteria and biomedia... was that bad advice?!  Before switching it, everything in the tank was fine.  I will be devastated if everything dies..

One of the newer fish in that tank needs to be moved to a tank that is bigger + doesn't have organisms that will devour the food before he has a chance to get to it.  (Apple snails will eat anything, and all they do is eat!)  I'm worried about him staying in there much longer, with how skiddish and picky he has turned out to be.  And I really don't want to give him back to the LFS - he's an oddball and they don't seem to know much about his care.  I'd rather put in my due diligence learning about him and move him ASAP.

Edit: Also, I might note, I just have the old filter insert sitting in the new tank, as it is from a different type of filter + I'd have to break it into pieces to fit any of it into the new filter.  I don't specifically need to place it in my new filter, right?

What is this oddball fish you're talking about?

Why can't you use liquid ammonia and buy a test kit?

You shouldn't ever replace all of the filter media (unless it is literally falling apart), this takes almost all of your good bacteria that turns ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate.
While it is true that some of that bacteria is in your water, the largest amount of it is in your filter. Therefore, you have restarted your cycle.
You need to put 3/4 of your filter media back into the tank with fish, if you don't, you will start having problems with fish dieing.

What size tank has your filter come from?

You say your filter media is sitting in your old tank, the bacteria in that will soon die as it needs oxygen to survive which it gets from the water passing through it in the filter.

I am not sure if I understood all correctly, if the old filter is now in your new tank (moved directly with all filter media and without washing filter media or letting them dry out) and you only want to put one single fish (which kind?) in there than you don't need to wait for any cycling and you can put the fish directly.

The problem now is your old tank as you most likely removed a great amount of beneficial bacteria with the old filter. What tank size is that and how many fish are in there? Is it planted? The nitrifying bacteria will colonize any surface (glass, plants, wood, etc.) Therefore chances are high that there are still some around (maybe not, maybe not enough). I would monitor the old tank (NH3, nitrite) closely and reduce feeding to a minimum or stop it completely for some days, but be aware cycling normally takes weeks. If you can take the media from your old filter (now in your new tank) and squeeze it in your old tank releasing some of the "good dirt" but then putting the media back in your old filter in the new tank, both tanks should be fine. :)

How long had the water been in the new tank before you put the filter from your old tank in to it?. How do they purify the water in the States?. 

Most reactions

trending

Back