Does Tea Tree Oil Kill Good Bacteria In The Aquarium ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aquarist82

Reaction score
hi ;

i decide to add tea tree oil regularly to my aquarium(probably each two weeks) but i m in doubt in one thing.Does tea tree oil kill good bacteria in my aquarium?The ratio that i m think of 10 drop for 100lt?any idea ?

thanks

why would you decide to do that?

tea tree oil is an anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal. so yeah aside from poisoning your fish it's probably killing the bacteria too.

Actually this is small experiment because i heard that small amount of tea tree oil help to clean water in the aquarium and i thought its natural product so it may also good for fish health.

Ok Botulism then :hey:

I would just be very wary about placing tea tree oil in any aquarium, yes people do use it but I would suspect that you would have to get the strength of the tea tree oil and the dosage of the tank exactly right or you will kill all your fish or stress them to the point of them developing just the exact problems that the tea tree oil is supposed to prevent. JMHO

thank you for all replies i think it s not good idea to put tea tree oil regularly to aquarium maybe it s only used as medicine for fungal treatment not as water conditioner and by the way botulinum toxin was good one :good:

I'm not really sure how it would work anyway - being an oil it doesn't mix with water, so would need to be in a carrier (that's how it works for baths etc - you mix your oils with carrier or milk so it actually infuses with the water), and the carrier would definitely be bad for the fish.

hi ;

i decide to add tea tree oil regularly to my aquarium(probably each two weeks) but i m in doubt in one thing.Does tea tree oil kill good bacteria in my aquarium?The ratio that i m think of 10 drop for 100lt?any idea ?

thanks

Hi,
I just saw this forum thread because I was wondering if tea tree oil in the water would help with an algae outbreak.

I was surprised by all of the rude replies you received. I would like to point out to all of those know-it-all aquarium experts that a common product by API, named Melafix, had the active ingredient listed as "Melaleuca 1.0%". This Melaleuca is just another name for tea tree oil.

So all of those people who were rude to you can go back to their Beta Bowls and perhaps try researching something before they so flippantly answer someone's question, which they obviously knew nothing about. This is why forums can't be taken too seriously. So many people want to be experts and think they are. And on the web, you can be many things.

Of course tea tree oil would have to be used with caution. It is a little late for this blog but my recommendation is to use a product like API's "Melafix" which is commercially controlled concentration and follow the directions that is printed on the bottle.

Most reactions

Back