Does Seachem Kanaplex(Kanamycin) Kill BB In Established Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

andy36yr19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got some kanaplex or kanamycin and I cant figure out if it kills bb or not some threads said yes and others said no. I need an answer please. The tank params are, ammonia:0, nitrite:0, nitrate:30, ph:6.7. Temp is always around 78-79F. It's a 10 gallon that has been running for 5 months and the filter for 2 months.

Kanaplex (aka Kanamycin) is an anti-biotic that was developed to treat bacterial infections in people. It is a broad spectrum anti-biotic that kills a wide range of bacteria including filter bacteria.

Do your fish have a known bacterial infection?
If yes, what other medications have you tried?

Anti-biotics should not be used unless there is a known bacterial infection that has not responded to conventional aquarium remedies. Improper use or mis-use of anti-biotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria that can kill people, animals, birds, reptiles and fish.

Agree with Colin’s advice.

Last edited:
Actually, I use it and it has never affected my tanks. That’s because Kanamycin is primarily gram-negative. BB is primarily gram-positive. Kanamycin is not harmful to the BB in a well established tank. That being said, if your tank is less than 3 months old, I would caution against using it. I agree 100% with Colin that you shouldn’t grab for the antibiotics every time your fish has a hiccup. Do your homework first, ask forum members for help, and then make a wise decision. Colin is very good with assisting in diagnosing fish issues.

Last edited:
Actually, I use it and it has never affected my tanks. That’s because Kanamycin is primarily gram-negative. BB is primarily gram-positive. Kanamycin is not harmful to the BB in a well established tank. That being said, if your tank is less than 3 months old, I would caution against using it. I agree 100% with Colin that you shouldn’t grab for the antibiotics every time your fish has a hiccup. Do your homework first, ask forum members for help, and then make a wise decision. Colin is very good with assisting in diagnosing fish issues.
So I shouldn't worry if it's been running for 5 months? (August 2018 it got cycled)

It should be safe. I never have an issue with it. Good luck!

DO YOUR FISH ACTUALLY HAVE A BACTERIAL INFECTION?

If your fish don't have a bacterial infection then all the anti-biotics in the world won't help. Using anti-biotics on fish that don't have a bacterial infection simply increases the risk of drug resistant bacteria that can kill the fish and anything else that walks the earth.

You need to make sure they have a known bacterial infection and not believe everything on company websites. Eg: one of the companies that sells kanaplex says it treats fungus. That is a lie and misleading to customers.

Anti-biotics only treat bacterial infections and do nothing to treat most fish health issues.

If you can enclose a pic of your issue, I’m sure Colin can take a look and advise.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back