Does Nipping Hurt A Betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

garethusa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is subjective and I would believe that it would, but I would like to know what others think?

When girls nip on each others fins or boy and girl shredd each others fins, do you think that they feel pain when they get nipped?

I would think so. Nipping would be feeling like a pinch..But when they bite and leave a mark there than that probably hurts :crazy: But I am not to sure. Good thing to ask though!

if they run away after being nipped i would think it hurts.

i mean, swim.

I have seen sites that say fish do not have any nerves in their fins, but I don't know if this is actually true. Did your fish get hurt?

Obviously the locomotion of the fish would be impacted by fins that had been reduced in size. Recent studies have determined that fins can be highly sensitive to water movement and pressure, one study comparing it to the sensation in our fingertips.

In a study published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B on Feb. 10, 2016 University of Chicago scientists have shown for the first time that pectoral fins in at least one species of fish possess neurons and cells that are exquisitely sensitive to touch. The discovery not only sheds light on the evolutionary biology of touch, it might also someday inspire new advances in the design of underwater robotics.

"It was a surprise to us that, similar to mammalian skin, fish fins are able to sense light pressure and subtle motion," said study author Adam Hardy, graduate student in the Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy. "This information seems to be conveyed by a type of cell important for touch in mammals, which suggests that the underlying sensory morphology may be evolutionarily conserved." [Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2016-02-fish-fins.html#jCp]

Studies have shown nerves in some fins:

Mechanosensation is fundamental to many tetrapod limb functions, yet it remains largely uninvestigated in the paired fins of fishes, limb homologues. Here we examine whether membranous fins may function as passive structures for touch sensation. We investigate the pectoral fins of the pictus catfish (Pimelodus pictus), a species that lives in close association with the benthic substrate and whose fins are positioned near its ventral margin. Kinematic analysis shows that the pectoral fins are held partially protracted during routine forward swimming and do not appear to generate propulsive force. Immunohistochemistry reveals that the fins are highly innervated, and we observe putative mechanoreceptors at nerve fibre endings. To test for the ability to sense mechanical perturbations, activity of fin ray nerve fibres was recorded in response to touch and bend stimulation. Both pressure and light surface brushing generated afferent nerve activity. Fin ray nerves also respond to bending of the rays. These data demonstrate for the first time that membranous fins can function as passive mechanosensors. We suggest that touch-sensitive fins may be widespread in fishes that maintain a close association with the bottom substrate. [https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2015.2652]

How or if fish feelpain is debatable, but fish fulfill several criteria proposed as indicating that non-human animals may experience pain. These fulfilled criteria include a suitable nervous system and sensory receptors, opioid receptors and reduced responses to noxious stimuli when given analgesics and local anaesthetics, physiological changes to noxious stimuli, displaying protective motor reactions, exhibiting avoidance learning and making trade-offs between noxious stimulus avoidance and other motivational requirements. [from Wikipedia]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back