Does anyone use aquarium pharmaceuticals tests?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

leah9798

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi sorry for all the questions but I went to the lps last night and had my water tested. That's what they use(aquarium pharmaceuticals) and the guy told me one of the test was for nitrates, and it didnt come up to good. So, I bought my own test(the same) got it home and the color chart is yellow, the test in the store was blue to purple. So, now I'm thinking it wasn't the nitrates that he tested like he told me. I need to know what test is blue to purple because my water was very purple :sad: assuming he did the test right anyway since he told me the wrong test. Can anyone help was that actually a test for nitrites and he was confused? Thank you Leah

well, I got my answer yep it's for nitrites and my water is purple so I'm assuming it's really high. Now I have to go back up to the lps after wasting money on a nitrate test when i needed a nitrite test. UGH!!!! My poor fishies! Leah

A purple indication is very bad, you need to start doing some big water changes right away!! I would advise changing 50% of the water and then do 10% changes every day until the nitrites disapper and you have a steady rise in nitrates. Do not add any food while the nitrites are still high as this will just add to the problem, dont worry your fish wont starve, healthy fish can survive over a month without food.

Thank you CFC, I'm just so confused by this whole thing. I took my water back today because the guy who checked it last night I was worried he didnt do it right anyway. So, I had it retested and they (2 different stores) told me my nitrates and nitrites are a little high but not in the danger zone. I tested my nitrates at home and it was 5. They both said that because my tank is only 3 weeks old it's probably in the ending stage of cycling. They both told me not to do a water change and to wait and see if it goes down. I'm just so confused by all this. I'm still thinking maybe I should do a PWC anyway. They both told me to basically leave it alone. If it was your tank and you were still cycling it what would you do, any of you? Thanks!! :( Does it make a difference if it is still cycling or not, my fish seem fine. Leah

Depends on the nitrites. If the test was purple, can be as low as .25...if fish seem ok, I would prob. go by the advice given and wait. (really, I'd prob. get the test in case there's a change.) Higher levels will register more toward a magenta color...

I thought that the purple colour was more towards the top end of the scale??? With the test kit i have (aquarium pharmaceuticals dry tabs) then a low reading of 25ppm would come up more of a light pink colour with a darker more purple colour indicating a reading of 50ppm or more, concentrations of 50ppm or more are potentially deadly and would need to rectified with a water change ASAP.

AP liquid as above ;), .25 being more of a bluish-purple, .50 hard to describe--but between that and a true magenta--a med. purple, i guess :/. Leah says her water was purple, so I assume lfs was using liquid, too...

Hi guys thank you for your help on this. I'm sorry i didnt realize there was 2different kind of tests. If it will help, the test was done in a tube with the drops, I'm not sure what the dry tabs are I'm still learning all this but i do appreciate your response CFC. Thank you reg for your reply. I did want to get the nitrite test also when I went today but neither store had them , they must sell fast!! Well, if it was the liquid test which I'm hoping it is my water did test purple, just a regular plain old purple not darker or lighter. So .25 is not too bad compared to 50. You guys are great, so how bad is it if it is .25 or .50? anything to really worry about? Thank YOU BOTH!!! Leah :fun:

Most reactions

trending

Back