Do You Prefer Keeping Guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elassoma_sailor

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you prefer to keep guppies outdoors? I think they make fun fish to keep in outdoor pond. Although they cannot survive in my winter. But I scoop most what I can for their winter refuge setup, until late spring...repeat. 
tongue2.gif

I think Scottish summers may still be to cold for them. I'm trying cherry shrimp outdoors this "summer"

Yeah I plan on making a small tub with some guppies, etc. Do I need a filter or will an air stone work?

I've got white cloud mountain minnows in a 200L water butt here in the UK but agree with Munroco that Guppies may not do so well although I have found variatus platies and cherry shrimp to do very well. I accidentally missed a few cherry shrimp in a butt I had a few years ago and they were still alive during winter and doing really well, they seemed much bigger and brighter than any of the shrimps indoors.

I'd say the water had got down to around 10 degrees when I realised they were still in there and then bought them in for the winter they were none the worse for wear though I wouldn't recommend keeping them in there past summer.

10 degrees is a bit to cold  for variatus and will probably not live any  length of time. 16 + degrees will be more suitable   
smile.png

Even in Queensland in winter our water gets cold enough to kill guppies during winter. Usually I have noticed the males die off first then if the cold persists the females start subcoming to the cold. However usually enough females and juvi males will survive winter to restock a pond in spring once the water begins to warm again. I am not condoning the wanton possible cruelty of leaving a fish well outside of its comfort zone and natural habitat variation, but I have in the past tried to keep guppies year round in a pond without adding heaters.
Another factor I found that encouraged the survival of guppies through winter in an unheated pond was plenty of organic matter on the floor of the pond that as it decomposed released warmth in to the water.

As for cherry shrimp surviving winters outdoors, I have heard of them surviving under ice outdoors, they really are the hardiest of shrimp. But I dare say that pushing the shrimp to their extremes could have weakened them to suffering secondary infections later down the track, it also would have severely curtailed any breeding and shell shedding the shrimp would have done in more acceptable temperatures.

I'm keeping several kinds of livebearers outdoors during approx. 6 months a year for many years now. For sure, guppies will be kept outdoors during that period. Unfortunately, our climate doesn't allow to keep those fish outdoors all year round.

Attachments

• DSCF4036.JPG
    DSCF4036.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 145

Most reactions

trending

Back