do they roots need to be above substrate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I didn't realize the sunset shrimp got that big! I thought they were tiny like the cherry shrimp. He's cool. I like the oto on the zucchini, too. I still haven't seen mine on the zucchini yet.

I didn't realize the sunset shrimp got that big! I thought they were tiny like the cherry shrimp. He's cool. I like the oto on the zucchini, too. I still haven't seen mine on the zucchini yet.
I didn't realize that either Mark! I'm always surprised when I can tell how much he's grown. As I thought he was going to remain super teeny. He's so awesome! And omg....really...still not eating the zucchini?!?!
Maybe try a new veggie. Mine also loooooove broccoli stalk!

I'm not sure it the otos are eating the zucchini or not. The last slice I put in, I put in late at night before the lights went out. The next day what was left of it was floating around the tank with all the fish following it. Everybody in the tank likes zucchini, I have learned!

I used to hide slices of courgette when I had otos as they were better at finding it before the others.

I'm not sure it the otos are eating the zucchini or not. The last slice I put in, I put in late at night before the lights went out. The next day what was left of it was floating around the tank with all the fish following it. Everybody in the tank likes zucchini, I have learned!
well hopefully they got some and are learning where you put it (before it takes off on a floating about the tank adventure).

I just bought two new plants from PetSmart in those "pest free" containers since they seem to be the cleanest around here.

1. Narrow Leaf Java Fern
and
2. Anubis Congensis

As I'm reading right now it seems that both need to be attached to rocks/wood?
I knew the regular Anubis (larger that I already have) was this way but wasn't sure all Anubis were the same? (the package for this one said "small"...which I'm not so sure now as I'm reading).

And I had no clue that Java Fern was to be planted this way also?

Can either of these two plants be pushed down into the substrate or will they both need to be tied to anchors above?

As of right now they are pushed into substrate.
I recommend you tie to driftwood or bogwood root take good hold and if it came to having to do change of substrate you will have plants
Lol

I have planted Anubs and Lacy Java fern in the substrate, then saw this conversation. lol. I did 50% water change and vacuumed the poop and gunk out of the rocks yesterday. I have a 10 gallon starter setup, so not much room to add objects to tie plants to. Can I just tie the plants to individual smallish sterilized rocks?

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Can I just tie the plants to individual smallish sterilized rocks
I don't see why not. Apparently you just want to make sure the rhizome (not sure I spelled that correctly) is above the substrate because it will likely rot if left below.
I bought these plants back in mid February, two months have passed and I can't even tell you how crazy the root growth has been! I'll take a pic later if I can remember!

I LOVE your tank
Thanks so much!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back