Do Plants Need Cycled Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Proxo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've never had live plants before but i'm switching at the weekend. My plan is to move all my fish, heater, filter into a borrowed tank while i get my tank looking just how i want it - it's only 90L and find it pretty hard to move stuff around with the fish in there too.

So basically, will live plants be okay in a tank with no fish/filter?
- i'll be using my tank water that has a pretty 'high' nitrAte if that'll do anything lol.

Of course i will be buying plants that're harder to kill then keep alive, to start things off lol.

I could always borrow a filter and put a few fish in too if i have too.

Yes, as long as there is some form of water circulation, provided by a filter of power head or something.

Agree, plants will be fine for short periods of time just being in some wet situation. The assumption is that the situation does not go for too many days I'd say, although that too varies with different species and the starting health of the plant of course.

Before too long the assumption is that the plants will begin to receive their basic needs: light and 17 or so nutrients (that vary widely in amount needed and difficulty of delivering.)

The title "Do plants need a cycled tank?" will probably prompt lots of beginners to look here who are thinking about whether plants should be in the tank during fishless or fish-in cycling. The answer to that is complicated in that it often doesn't matter much but in the ideal world of the cycling or of the plants they are both often better off without the other being there... in other words, cycling is often less confusing if plants are not there and plants, in a few cases, do better when introduced later, after cycling is finished (but again, that's when you're getting picky and there are certainly plenty of examples where cycling goes just fine with plants in there.)

~~waterdrop~~

Cheers guys, i'll get some before n afters too for yas :).
Good point on the topic title & nice one for clearing it up for people who pass by :good: .

I had 2 live plants in for the first part of my cycle, but removed them on general advice. The only real difference i noticed was a slightly quicker procesing of Ammonia, and no nitrates, as the plants seems to be using them all.

Took the plants out, and it increased the ammonia consumption from 4ppm every 36 hours, to 48 hours.

No biggy, but definately a little step backwards!

That is good.
20.creation.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back