Do pet stores buy fish from customers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

joseph2739

Reaction score
I have a lot of baby fish that Iā€™m gonna grow and I wanna know when I grow them would any pet store buy some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago any pet shop would buy fish from customers but today some do and some don't.

I recently came across a chain store pet shop and they refuse to buy fish from customers, which I found odd. But their policy is they don't buy anything from customers because they could be diseased. When I pointed out the fish they were getting from the eastern states wholesalers were diseased, and they had diseased fishes in their shop tanks at that moment, I was asked to leave :)

Most other shops will take fish tho and they usually give about 1/2 retail price in store credit, and 1/3 store price in cash. Some shops pay less than this but most pay these amounts.

If you want to sell large numbers of fish they usually pay less again but they take more fish.
eg: You have 200 male guppies to sell, the shop might take them all but they will offer you about 1/4 retail price in cash. The shop takes a chance on buying so many fish and they might not be perfect, and you don't get as much money per fish, but you do sell more of them at the same time.

--------------------
On a side note, when rearing tropical fish, the best temperature is 28C (82F). Do daily 75% water changes to dilute the growth inhibiting hormones produced by the baby fish. Keep the lights on for 16 hours per day. Feed them at least 4 times per day and feed them so their stomachs are huge and they look pregnant. Newly hatched brineshrimp is the best foods for rearing fry once they are a few weeks old. Microworms can also be added. :)

Years ago any pet shop would buy fish from customers but today some do and some don't.

I recently came across a chain store pet shop and they refuse to buy fish from customers, which I found odd. But their policy is they don't buy anything from customers because they could be diseased. When I pointed out the fish they were getting from the eastern states wholesalers were diseased, and they had diseased fishes in their shop tanks at that moment, I was asked to leave :)

Most other shops will take fish tho and they usually give about 1/2 retail price in store credit, and 1/3 store price in cash. Some shops pay less than this but most pay these amounts.

If you want to sell large numbers of fish they usually pay less again but they take more fish.
eg: You have 200 male guppies to sell, the shop might take them all but they will offer you about 1/4 retail price in cash. The shop takes a chance on buying so many fish and they might not be perfect, and you don't get as much money per fish, but you do sell more of them at the same time.

--------------------
On a side note, when rearing tropical fish, the best temperature is 28C (82F). Do daily 75% water changes to dilute the growth inhibiting hormones produced by the baby fish. Keep the lights on for 16 hours per day. Feed them at least 4 times per day and feed them so their stomachs are huge and they look pregnant. Newly hatched brineshrimp is the best foods for rearing fry once they are a few weeks old. Microworms can also be added. :)

Thanks

independent stores might....chain stores probably wouldn't even take them for free
Because chain stores are usually franchises and and cant.

Disadvantages of buying a franchise. Buying a franchise means entering into a formal agreement with your franchisor. Franchise agreements dictate how you run the business, so there may be little room for creativity. There are usually restrictions on where you operate, the products you sell and the suppliers you use.

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/sta...ess/buying-franchise/advantages-disadvantages

And if they are not a chain of franchises store, It would be like walking into a Kmart/ Wallmart store and trying to sell them something, The manager of the store hasn't got the authorization to buy it, You would have to contact the state or national head office and talk to a purchasing rep.

Independent means the person who owns the store also runs it.

My LFS takes in fish that grow too big for peoples tanks.

LVX7Uvl.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back