Do i really need a powerhead?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cossie333

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

yo cut a long story short, i was given a 150 ish litre tank for which i have used an undergravel filter for.

I purchased a power head which was far far too powerful and loud considering its in my bedroom (my fault), i had to borrow my brother air pump and put that in the tube coming up form the undergravel filter for oxygen and also i know its used a filter in some circumstances.

i woke up this morning to expect to see the fish struggling for air, which they were not.

if i have and air pump sent for both ends of the tank effectively acting as a filter both ends, is there any need for a powerhead at all? i know this can be done but i wondered if any of you had first hand experience with this and you thoughts|?

Thanks
Jack

if i have and air pump sent for both ends of the tank effectively acting as a filter both ends, is there any need for a powerhead at all?

The simple answer is it depends on the fish you have, some require a lot of current ( Hill stream loaches ) some require next to none ( Bettas ).

I dont use powerheads, I love Bettas and they hate current.

The 6 foot 100 gallon tank in my signature runs 2 sponge filters one at each end of the tank powered by a air pump.

I keep Bettas Kuhli loaches and Red Cherry shrimp in there and they are all fine.

I agree. It depends upon the fish species and numbers, and the extent of the plants. In some situations you may need good (increased) surface disturbance to counter the buildup of CO2 during darkness.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back