Do I need bubbles?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rachandmike

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like a really daft question but we are just in the process of setting up a tank and we have a filter and it puts out a jet of water, now is enough to airate the water or do i need to have it close to the surface with the valve open so that it specifically puts out bubbles?

Hi by the way :)

we are just setting up our first ever tank :)

Mike

Oxygenation in an aquarium occurs with disturbance of the surface more than anything else. The air bubbles add little, if any oxygen to the water, what they do is give more motion to the surface, aiding oxygen transfer.

If you like the look of the bubbles, go for it. If not, as long as there is some surface motion, you should be fine.

BTW, welcome! :D Lots of great people here. Enjoy that first tank also, but be warned; 1 tank leads to 2 tanks leads to......

Tolak

When I set up my tank for the first time, I was told by the store that you had to have one (duh... 17 year old girl who knows nothing about fish... let's see how much money we can make off her). I loved the look of it, and my fish loved to swim in and out of the bubbles all day (they didn't get out much) Once I joined the forum, I posted a few pictures and couldn't believe the number of people telling me to take them out because they didn't do anything, and they looked plain disgusting.

The beauty of fish keeping is that as long as you take care of your fish, you can do anything you want. Personally, I loved the bubbles. If I didn't have live plants then I would put it back in. If you want it in there, then by all means go for it. If your filters output isn't very strong, then it could be beneficial. If you intend on having live plants, then you don't need it!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

in my 50 gallon i put bubbles on the side opposite to where the filter is to prevent the water from getting stagnant. I put the air wand on the very bottom with about 3 inches of gravel on top of it. that way the bubbles come out really big. I hate those fuzzy little bubbles.

The pleco in there and the gourami enjoy swimming through them but the other fish could care less i guess.

In my 20 gallon, i had them in but now i inject co2 for the plants, so took out the bubbles as that would expel all my co2

I have them in my tank too right now. Personally I like the look. It's more of a personal preference kind of thing.

I like the look of bubbles in the right situation, which is of course your personal taste. I have a hollow log that stands about 16 inches tall. I have taken this log and stuffed it with bio balls and have an airstone wedged in the bottom. In theory its drawing water thru bio balls and working as a half ass bio filter??? Looks good anyway!

Most reactions

trending

Back