Do I need Beneficial Bacteria Supplements?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NathanWilliams415

Reaction score
I've had my 20 gallon aquarium for over 2 months. My ammonia levels have been consistently 0 for 3 weeks now. I do a 20% to 30% water change each week. I've been adding the topfin beneficial bacteria thing as directions stated during every water change.

I just ran out of my bottle of bacteria supplement. Do I need to buy another and continue using? Or is this something you can do without once your aquarium is stable? Just wondering because it gets kind of expensive using it every time.

The bacterial supplements are intended for use to ensure fish in an aquarium that is possibly still cycling are not adversely affected, or at least minimally. I do not know much about the TopFin product, but it should not be necessary to continue it. At best these supplements help to seed the bacteria needed to deal with the nitrogen cycle.

Perhaps you cold explain how you cycled this tank, and what if any fish are in it?

I've had 8 neon tetras and 3 cherry barbs a nerite snail in the tank since after the 1st week I've had it.

I think my tank is probably cycled since I've seen my high ammonia levels drop to zero and my nitrites are very low for 3 weeks now. I'm hoping that means my tank is cycled.

I just wasn't sure if bacteria supplement was something I was supposed to continue using during water changes or if I was wasting money. The directions say to use during every water change, but I figured it could just be that they want me to use more of their product.

Filter Bacteria supplements help to speed up the cycling process by introducing beneficial filter bacteria into the tank. This bacteria will eventually colonise aquariums but adding it when you first set the tank up helps get it going sooner.

The best way to add filter bacteria supplements is to double dose every day for the first week then don't bother using it.

Once the aquarium has cycled there is no need to continue adding it.

Agree. But this nitrite being "very low" needs explaining...do you mean nitrites (with the "I") or nitrates (with the "a")? Nitrite is very toxic at any level above zero, and if present a 50%+ water change should be done daily until nitrite is zero. A conditioner that detoxifies nitrite is also advisable during cycling, Prime and Ultimate are two that detoxify nitrite, but it is only temporary (24-36 hours).

So far my Nitrites are usually at the lowest bar on the strip test or at zero. My nitrates usually stay in the caution range. I test once a week the day before I do a water change.

Dump the strip tests and get a proper Master Kit with the test tubes and bottles.

I used test strips and they were a waste of space. A master kit will save you money in the long run as it lasts for ages. It becomes more important if you have a significant investment of fish stock that could be lost if the water becomes toxic

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back