Do I Have A Cycle Gone Wild?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SPADtrap

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I think my fish and I need some help, thanks in advance for this, this forum has been a great help already so a quick thank you to all who have helped so far!

I recently set up a 120L tank that I filled and left for roughly 2 weeks with a new filter and water heater - I didn't do any water changes in this time due to lack of knowledge which I regret.

I decided to stock my tank shortly after this point with 4 male guppies and 9 neon tetras which seemed to go well following their introduction, I had a very basic test kit that consisted of strips and nothing more, not very accurate. I thought I had it under control though.

Recently my male guppies have been swimming up and down the glass, a phenomenon I researched to be 'glass surfing' and could be down to anything from playing to stress, I worry this is stress related.

I'll attach a YouTube video of this behaviour.

I bought some better test kits after doing some proper research (late I know, lessons learned) and I'll post photos of the results to see what you think. 

20160121_2122715.jpg
Here are some water tests, I hope I shook the bottles enough because I've read that they need quite the shake to get an accurate result. It looks as if the nitrite is zero? I also think my pH may be too high, our water quality in this area of Welwyn Garden City is terrible

I'm waiting on a master test kit in the post so that might have a more detailed scale?

I'm not sure where to go from here to help calm down my poor fish, its keeping me awake at night worrying about them!

Thanks so much if you've read this far

Unfortunately, the 2 weeks that you waited to add fish did absolutely nothing to help you.  :/  Sorry.

You are in the middle of a fish-in cycle.  

eaglesaquarium said:
Unfortunately, the 2 weeks that you waited to add fish did absolutely nothing to help you.  
confused.gif
 Sorry.

You are in the middle of a fish-in cycle.  

That is what I realised after I found this forum which is a shame but now what I have to try to recover from! 

How is best to proceed with the fish-in cycle? 

Thanks for the reply and help.

https://youtu.be/T_f3iwDns9I

This is the behaviour I am worried about

Follow the steps in here:  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433778-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il/

Simply described, the answer is to change your water before the ammonia and nitrite levels become dangerous to your fish.

Its a challenging process, because to do it as quickly as possible, you need to dance the line between having enough ammonia to feed your bacteria colony, without having so much that it causes a problem for your fish.  The issue is far less the total ammonia number, and more related to the specific amount of AMMONIA (NH3)...  Your API kit will tell you the total ammonia value.  Use the calculator in the link (actually, its a separate link within there) to determine how much of your Total Ammonia is actually the more toxic level.

Let the ammonia level rise as high as you can, without exceeding 0.05ppm on that calculator, then change a lot of water to give your fish fresh water and let the ammonia build up again for the bacteria to grow some more.  Eventually, the ammonia will be dealt with, but the nitrite will start to build up.  That's when you want to introduce SALT to combat the nitrite, rather than water changes.  Because salt will stop the lethal effects of nitrite (blocks the fish from taking the nitrite into their blood through the gills) while leaving it present for the nitrite bacteria to deal with it.  The amount of salt can be calculated in that thread as well - or you can just post your questions here.

Done properly, it could take as little as 4 weeks or so.  I'd suggest you add some plants to the tank, as they will harbor some bacteria, but the plants themselves will deal with the ammonia.  Floating plants are some of the best options, or stem plants as they grow most quickly.  Any ammonia the plants remove from the water means that your bacteria won't need to deal with it and it can't harm the fish... and it won't develop into nitrite or nitrate.

good.gif
good luck

BTW, that particular behavior is not related to ammonia.  That is the males working out dominance.

Thanks for the reply. I've been fortunate enough to secure some mature media from a friends very well established tank. Would you advise adding this to my filter to help?

SPADtrap said:
Thanks for the reply. I've been fortunate enough to secure some mature media from a friends very well established tank. Would you advise adding this to my filter to help?

If you believe they have no disease, it is absolutely a helpful thing.  Add it and your cycle will be over quicker.

eaglesaquarium said:

If you believe they have no disease, it is absolutely a helpful thing.  Add it and your cycle will be over quicker.

Thanks for that. Just to pick up on another thing you said - my guppies behaviour of swimming up and down quickly - that's normal for male guppies?

SPADtrap said:

Thanks for that. Just to pick up on another thing you said - my guppies behaviour of swimming up and down quickly - that's normal for male guppies?

Yup... Sometimes they see their reflection in the glass, and see it as another guppy, and they 'challenge' the guppy.  Nothing to worry about.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back