Do Fish Bite?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Keithoms

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I just floated my fingers in the tank for a few mins trying to catch a piece of string in the water, and the fish came up and started sniffing around. A gourami came up and i think was about to taste me, so i pulled out.

begs the q. do fish bite? They may suck, but do they bite?

fish bite. it doesn't hurt unless they are big. just for fun, try holding a blood worm or something in the water to hand feed them.

its more like a nibble if there little! mollys are cool when they do it, it dosent hurt just the shock that gets you!

I can confirm that fish do bite some more painful that others.

Lol yep some do bite, some bites I've had came from an adult arulius barb and a 9 inch Oscar

A month ago my colleague was bitten quite badly by the silver arrowana from work, It grabbed hold of her finger as she went to feed it and wouldn't let go for a few minutes,
When it let go she had a failry deep cut all around her finger where the arrowana had gotten hold of her.

Ouch...
I dont want to stick my hand/arm in the tank any more :S

Gouramis don't hurt, anything which isn't a large predatory fish shouldn't hurt one bit.
I had a senegal birchir hanging off my finger once, that caned like a b*tch!

I've had severums, angels and tetras nibbling me and it hasn't hurt at all.

Mine all have a nibble when Im water changing or just moving things about in the tank.

The betta's are the ones that really have a go at my fingers as I hand feed them - one nearly jumps out the water to get to my fingers (well the food in them LOL ) never had one actually hurt though - YET!

Ouch...
I dont want to stick my hand/arm in the tank any more :S

dont be scared of gouramis! they are only playing lol

my siamese fighter does it but im used to her now, she'll do it 3/4 times each time you put your hand in, if you pull out she thinks shes boss lol

my female ram nibbled on my arm once when i was moving an ornament.it made me giggle and my girlfriend laughed at me.she said i sounded like a little schoolgirl.

Most reactions

Back