Do Female Bettas Make Bubble Nests?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Queen Bee

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It has been entertaining to watch Charlie (my male betta) swim around his tank and show off his fins for the new female betta I bought 2 weeks ago. After being away for a few days, I noticed that she has bubbles on the surface of the tank. It looks like a bubble nest. Is this possible? The male hasn't made one in quite a while. I was really hoping he would now that he is excited about the female next door.

They are in seprate tanks, no filter or airstone. I do change their water every week. I have done no water testing, as they breath surface air and have had no problems since buying him in early July.

When I first put my female betta in with the male to breed them, she helped make bubbles for the nest, so I wouldn't doubt that some females would do it. My female doesn't attempt to make nests when she is alone though. Most of the research I've done said that the males mostly do it, but I have read about some females doing it too.

Some of my females have, some haven't. One even dropped eggs while she was in her tube and put them in the nest bless her.

Do you have a picture of her? is there a chance she is a male plakat?

in my experience the girls blow bubbles whilst breathing at the surface but dont actually gather them in a "nest" but you never know...little loves... :good: :good:

They certainly do build nests......just to confuse us even more lol

This is one that one of our home bred baby girls made when she was just 3 months old.

0806160062.jpg

Do you have a picture of her? is there a chance she is a male plakat?

I took a picture of her, but I can't seem to get any of my pictures to download to the forum. It always says over the acceptable kb.

Glad to know she is capable of doing so. Thought I might have had a water issue with her.

This thread is 10 years old, but hey I will play the game.

They are mating, the male just squeezed the eggs out of the female.

This thread is 10 years old, but hey I will play the game.

They are mating, the male just squeezed the eggs out of the female.
He he I did not noticed the date of this thread, thank you bro for your response you got it right and currently the male betta now is tending the eggs I am looking forward to see there beautiful babies soon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back