Do Corys Eat Snails?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lucylou

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need a fish that will eat snails, I know Loaches eat snails, but I'm wondering if Cory's do? I would prefer to keep a shoal of small cory's for the bottom of my tank.
If not then I plan to get 3/4 Zebra loach to do the job :good:

I just watched one of my Corys try and eat a snail.

I bought a plastic spatula today purely for crushing snails with.

blue goramis will eat snails, I`ve fallen in love with mine they are no an important part of my fish tanks, as they eat aptasia, snails, planaria, and i`ve even watched them eat hair alge....

blue goramis will eat snails, I`ve fallen in love with mine they are no an important part of my fish tanks, as they eat aptasia, snails, planaria, and i`ve even watched them eat hair alge....

do they now

just had visions of them leaping out of the tank, flapping across the floor to the marine tank, taking a massive breath of air then hopping into the salty water to go eat the aiptasia :rofl: :lol:

Don't much fancy crushing snails, i've heard it release's more eggs from the snail, when they get squished?
It's sound like Cory's might eat snails, but loaches will almost definatley eat snails. Thanks

do they now

just had visions of them leaping out of the tank, flapping across the floor to the marine tank, taking a massive breath of air then hopping into the salty water to go eat the aiptasia :rofl: :lol:

Hydra sorry. not aptasia.

Corys won`t really eat snails, i`ve had corys in a tank with huge numbers of snails and never saw them eat one

do they now

Hydra sorry. not aptasia.

Corys won`t really eat snails, i`ve had corys in a tank with huge numbers of snails and never saw them eat one

i knew what you meant. :)

I'm kind of worried that when I crush the snails the Corys might eat up the shell fragments. Does that happen, and will it hurt them?

I'm kind of worried that when I crush the snails the Corys might eat up the shell fragments. Does that happen, and will it hurt them?
Hi. No, that does not happen. They spit it right out. Snails are a important part of my Corys daily diet and I allow hundreds of young snails to grow in each tank, specifically for this purpose. The smaller the snail, the easier it is for them to eat. Hope this helped. - Frank

ARG! Richie my boyf squished snails yesterday and all our fish went mad!

We even have a special tool for it. :sick:

Glad they spit the bits out though.

Hi. No, that does not happen. They spit it right out. Snails are a important part of my Corys daily diet and I allow hundreds of young snails to grow in each tank, specifically for this purpose. The smaller the snail, the easier it is for them to eat. Hope this helped. - Frank

Awesome, cheers. That's something to not worry about. I can squash away now. This ought to solve our snail problem!

I crushed one last night and the water went red around it. It was cool.

Everyone but Steve, our betta, eats the snails.

Bloody fussy boy!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back