Do 7 month male and 1.5 year female breed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 7 month crowntail male and i think female is 1.5 year old. My male is not in interest in female. He never flare at her. Why he is not making bubbles?

I have 7 month crowntail male and i think female is 1.5 year old. My male is not in interest in female. He never flare at her. Why he is not making bubbles?
Bettas usually breed better when they have been around each other since they were young. Iā€™m not too sure if these two will breed. If you want to try, mabye put a divider in the tank, increase the temperature in the water, for a week, feed them only live foods (brine shrimp, bloodworms and if you can find some mosquito larvae is great food for Bettas, Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s good for fry as well, after a week or two remove the divider and hopefully they will breed. One more thing to do (this works for some fish but Iā€™m not sure if it works for Bettas) is do large 50-75% water changes every day or every few days, if this doesnā€™t work Iā€™m not sure how else I can help you, Good luck!

Ryan has covered most of it.
Make sure you feed the fish 3-4 times per day using frozen (but defrosted) and live food.
Get the water temperature to 26-28C (79-82F).
Have some floating plants on the surface. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant to use.
Don't have too much water movement or surface turbulence because it breaks up the nest.
Do daily water changes to simulate rainfall.
Give them time. Fish have preferences when it comes to finding a partner and not even fish likes the fish in their tank.

Make sure you feed the fish 3-4 times per day using frozen (but defrosted) and live food.
Have some floating plants on the surface. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant to use.
Don't have too much water movement or surface turbulence because it breaks up the nest.
Give them time. Fish have preferences when it comes to finding a partner and not even fish likes the fish in their tank.
Woohoo I finally did something right

Thats where it should be all the time.

Bettas usually breed better when they have been around each other since they were young. Iā€™m not too sure if these two will breed. If you want to try, mabye put a divider in the tank, increase the temperature in the water, for a week, feed them only live foods (brine shrimp, bloodworms and if you can find some mosquito larvae is great food for Bettas, Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s good for fry as well, after a week or two remove the divider and hopefully they will breed. One more thing to do (this works for some fish but Iā€™m not sure if it works for Bettas) is do large 50-75% water changes every day or every few days, if this doesnā€™t work Iā€™m not sure how else I can help you, Good luck!
Thank you ryan_F i feed male from 2 weeks and only he is not interested but i got female 2 days ago and she is approaching him .

Thank you colin_T
But last time when i feed my male betta 2 times a day he got swollen stomach bloating or constipation. I fixed it. So how to feed him 2-3 times?
Yesterday i put them together.
Here is winter like temperature.at night it gets down and at afternoon temp rises.
I used almond leaf for conditioning

Thank you ryan_F i feed male from 2 weeks and only he is not interested but i got female 2 days ago and she is approaching him .
Ok still, if you want them to breed Iā€™d seperate them feed live food up temperature and do water changes. Hopefully this helps :)

@Colin_T and ryan
Today i saw them my males fins are damaged and female looks fine. Do betta females damage males? But last time was monitoring for 2 hours but she only approaching him.

@Colin_T and ryan
Today i saw them my males fins are damaged and female looks fine. Do betta females damage males? But last time was monitoring for 2 hours but she only approaching him.
Are the any other fish in the tank? She could have been nipping him or possibly he could have fin rot, but I canā€™t be sure, can you get a photo for me? Itā€™s most likely she just nipped him, Bettas can be quite agreesive or she might have just been showing her dominance, my black widow tetras nip eachothers fins a little because theyā€™re a bit uhh... letā€™s just say crazy, but it usually grows back in a few weeks, I use API Stress Coat since it started my tank up and it definitely heals damaged fins faster.

Female Bettas can sometimes fight but you also get short fin male Bettas that look like females, and they will fight, attack and kill long fin males. Separate the fish and leave them for a few weeks. Have a look at the belly on the female and see if it has a white ovipositor (egg laying tube). This is where the fish does a poop, females have white ovipositor and the males are dark. You can post a picture of the underside of the fish and we can have a look.

If the fish was becoming constipated from food then you are feeding too much dry food. Small insect like aphids, flies, mosquitoes and mosquitoe larvae are ideal foods and can be fed throughout the day. Frozen (but defrosted) brineshrimp, bloodworms and daphnia are also good foods. You can get some raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp. Remove the head, shell & gut (thin black tube in the body), and throw these bits away. Then use a pr of scissors and cut the remaining prawn tail into small bits. Offer 1 or 2 bits at a time. remove any uneaten food after 5 minutes.
Do big regular water changes to keep the water clean.

I fed my fish like that 4 times a day and they never got constipated or had any issues.

He is male betta
Todays pic

Attachments

• tmp-cam-27422035.jpg
    tmp-cam-27422035.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 115
Here is female betta

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_175921.jpg
    IMG_20180911_175921.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 99
I
Female Bettas can sometimes fight but you also get short fin male Bettas that look like females, and they will fight, attack and kill long fin males. Separate the fish and leave them for a few weeks. Have a look at the belly on the female and see if it has a white ovipositor (egg laying tube). This is where the fish does a poop, females have white ovipositor and the males are dark. You can post a picture of the underside of the fish and we can have a look.

If the fish was becoming constipated from food then you are feeding too much dry food. Small insect like aphids, flies, mosquitoes and mosquitoe larvae are ideal foods and can be fed throughout the day. Frozen (but defrosted) brineshrimp, bloodworms and daphnia are also good foods. You can get some raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp. Remove the head, shell & gut (thin black tube in the body), and throw these bits away. Then use a pr of scissors and cut the remaining prawn tail into small bits. Offer 1 or 2 bits at a time. remove any uneaten food after 5 minutes.
Do big regular water changes to keep the water clean.

I fed my fish like that 4 times a day and they never got constipated or had any issues.
I posted pic

Are the any other fish in the tank? She could have been nipping him or possibly he could have fin rot, but I canā€™t be sure, can you get a photo for me? Itā€™s most likely she just nipped him, Bettas can be quite agreesive or she might have just been showing her dominance, my black widow tetras nip eachothers fins a little because theyā€™re a bit uhh... letā€™s just say crazy, but it usually grows back in a few weeks, I use API Stress Coat since it started my tank up and it definitely heals damaged fins faster.
Here you go
Pics

Most reactions

trending

Back