DIY Terra-cotta pots?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aesthetic-fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, recently, I found some terra-cotta pots at my local dollar store. I saw some videos of people making terra-cotta caves. But, the only problem with this is, that, I don't have a drill or a dremel. And yes, they said drills and/or dremels are required. My dad disagreed on doing this. But still, I still really want to make one. Any ideas on how I can make a "cave entrance" without drills and dremels? Maybe a way that doesn't require buying anything, or ONLY buying CHEAP supplies? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! Pls reply soon!

Get a clay flower pot and use a hacksaw to cut it in half (from top to bottom). You will end up with 2 half flower pots and you can lay them down on the substrate to create perfect caves.

In the past for my bettas i got small clay pots and just put them in the tank on their sides. You DO have to fill the hole on the bottom some way. I liked to just stick the rhizomes off java ferns or anubias in the holes. You could also take a small piece of acrylic and use super glue to adhere that over the hole. Then you would sort of have a “window” into your new caves.

Thank you for your replies. But is there a way to do this without any tools? I just lay them in the side as well. But, I wanted to DIY some cave with only a good sized opening.

Last edited:
IMG_0484.PNG
IMG_0482.PNG
That was what I wanted to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 125
IMG_0476.JPG
Also, this is an image of what the terra-cotta pots are like currently the in my betta tank.

You’re going to have to have some sort of tool to do that, I think. If you try to chisel it out, the pots will just crack and crumble.

You’re going to have to have some sort of tool to do that, I think. If you try to chisel it out, the pots will just crack and crumble.
Thank you, any ideas on some tools? I have screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, and box knives. There are a lot more others bits sad pieces in my tool box, but cant list all of them here. Anyways, as you know, i dont have a dremel or a drill. Any suggested tools that are available in my current tool box will br greatly appreciated. Also, i will be Happy to answer any questions. Thank you! Pls reply soon!

I would think a drenes would be the best option, but, since you don’t have one, it won’t do you much good lol. I wonder if a box knife would work? It might take you a while, but I don’t think it would cause the whole pot to break. I would draw the size hole you want with a pencil and then use the box knife (make sure it’s sharp) to go over that drawing. You may have to do it several times to get it to start cuting through the clay, but it may work.

EDIT: spelling

I would think a drenes would be the best option, but, since you don’t have one, it won’t do you much good lol. I wonder if a box knife would work? It might take you a while, but I don’t think it would cause the whole pot to break. I would draw the size hole you want with a pencil and then use the box knife (make sure it’s sharp) to go over that drawing. You may have to do it several times to get it to start cuting through the clay, but it may work.

EDIT: spelling
Ok! Thank you so much! I'll try out your idea!

Do you have sand paper? If the edges are rough you may want to smooth them a little. A nail file may also be sufficient.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back