Diy Sinkers For Plants Xd

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ArroWanaWhitey

Reaction score
How can i make some sinkers to put on my abundance of Anachris that is growing crazy on me and blocking the light from my other plants? Aquarium safe sinkers preferably =D!

Tie some fish line around the bottom of the plant(s) (but not tightly)

Then tie the other end of the line to a rock thats sitting on the bottom of your tank. (if you don't have one then put one in :))

OR

Then take a marble then a drill & drill a hole through the marble.. but while your drilling beware you have to pour ice/cold water on it constantly or it will shatter. then put the line though the hole in the marble then tie tightly.

I buy filter wool in bulk, take off some and stretch it length ways. Then i rub my hands together with the filter wool and then wrap it arount the bottom of the plants. I then add lead weights to it. This works really well and looks professional too!

Then tie the other end of the line to a rock thats sitting on the bottom of your tank. (if you don't have one then put one in :))

OR

Then take a marble then a drill & drill a hole through the marble.. but while your drilling beware you have to pour ice/cold water on it constantly or it will shatter. then put the line though the hole in the marble then tie tightly.
A simple modification to this could simply be to tie the fishing line on the plants (loosly) and instead of drilling or tying you could silicone the line to a rock marble etc and not have to worry about drilling and/or pouring water on objects to keep it from shattering.

Drew

Sorry to be pedantic but why pay for anything or even use anything unnatural?

Push the stem into the substrate and then some natural anchors called roots will develop.

Andy

If you want something quick and don't feel like DIY you could always just buy some lead free fishing sinkers. You can even get them in several inch long strips.

Hey there fellow fish hobbyists! I've been reading these forums for a while now and only just made an account. I have one question though: i have these "enviroweights", they are degradable fishing sinkers and was wondering if anyone new what they were and if they were safe to use in a freshwater aquarium? I wanted to find something that i could use to anchor my plants so they didnt float and i could spread them out a lot more; it is just a bit frustrating as i cannot get a definite answer and i do not want to kill the fish i spent $130 on. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

normally we would suggest you start a new thread for this subject, or maybe one of the mods can split this thread and make a new one for you.

If you can post pictures of the items and the packaging, we might have more to go on.

Thanks for the reply. Ive have tried to post photos but it keeps telling me that the "file size is too large for the server" Would it help if i described them? The sinkers look like regular sinkers but could be a bit lighter, (15g) they have a picture of an australia (I live in Australia) with "enviroweights"written on them ..the packaging is a small plastic box with a yellow(?) Like- brand Sticker around it with the phrase "enviroweights" again. It sais that they are enviromentally friendly and (if lost, they are fishing sinkers) over time will degrade into "harmless base elements" i have been looking around my LFS's for plant weights but only one that i knew of had them, however they had sold out. But instead of buying them i thought i couldpuld use sinkers instead and have been trying to research if they are ok to be used to anchor live plants into the aquarium. Atleast until they take root. If they are not safe i still have a couple of options. I was just curious on this one

This thread is from 2007

Sorry to be pedantic but why pay for anything or even use anything unnatural?

Push the stem into the substrate and then some natural anchors called roots will develop.

Andy

Exactly, push the plant into the substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back