Diy Light Reflector

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So in the simplest terms I'm skint and one of my tubes has started to dull. Can I use tin foil as a reflector to brighten my tank til payday

Yes tinfoil makes a very good DIY reflector.

Reflectors are an oft misunderstood concept, especially their design. Basically, for tubular lighting such as fluors from T12 all the way through to T-5s and anything in between, light is emitted in all directions equally. This means that 50% of the light is going in the wrong direction. The purpose of a reflector is to redirect the 50% of the light going the wrong way back into a tank. In a perfect world 100% of the wrong way light would be redirected.

There are two basic determinants of how much of the wrong direction lighting can be sent in the right direction. The nature of the reflective surface itself and then the design of the reflector (its shape) and the position of the bulb relative to it. These two things will determine how much light might return towards the tank. But there is another issue that must be considered when chosing the reflective material and then the shape it takes and where it is placed relative to the bulb. This is something called Restrike. This refers to the phenomenon of reflected light hitting the bulb itself and not making it back to the tank.

Aluminum foil will be better than something white or nothing at all, but not a heck of a lot more.

There is a great explanation of all this on the site from which I have bought most of my lighting for many years. I suggest those interested have a look here http://ahsupply.com/compact-fluorescent-lights/overview.html?SID=820cde04a81e78d093f8c72062871ffd

This information applies to all omnidirectional bulbs.

thanks for your replies, TTA i'll read that article tonight (im on nights atm) and try my hand at it tomorrow.

my tank currently runs 2 t5's HO bulbs

at the back of the tank is just a 3 inch gap and the light goes on to the wall behind, would it be best to include something there as well?

When you read that piece I linked, you will see how and why their their reflector design works so well. Part of that is it deals with the light emitted perpendicular to the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back