Diy Aquarium Ornaments And Caves

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bubblychaz

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey!

So Ive been looking into making some ornaments for aquariums and some caves too!

Ive read alot about using polymer clay or normal clay which is used to make terracotta earthenware as long as it is heated in a kiln. Anyone got any experience here?

Looking at some ornaments, most ornaments are made from polyresin.. is this polyester resin or Polyurethane Resin, does anyone know?

I also heard someone say they put lightweight garden ornaments in their aquarium?? I dont even know how that'd work because arent most garden ornaments made from cement like Portland cement which I doubt is submersible.

What im looking at doing is making some caves and things from clay,
But then also making latex moulds of ornaments and things and then using a polyresin or something for ornaments.

Polyurethane seems to be more like an ornament casting product
polyester seems to be more like a glass/plastic casting product.
Unless im missing something?

I looked at epoxy resin too and that seems to be a glass/plastic resin too.

Im looking for something similar outcome to what a cup or pot or one of those paint your own money box things you can buy where its like a ceramic and then you paint.
0252781_l.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

Ive read alot about using polymer clay
I would stay away from polymer clay, I used to work in a place that made it and some of the chemicals used are not aquarium safe. Plasticizers remain in the cured product and can leach out

normal clay which is used to make terracotta earthenware as long as it is heated in a kiln
Should be fine as long as its fired, After all we do use terracotta pots in tanks as caves.

Im looking for something similar outcome to what a cup or pot or one of those paint your own money box things you can buy where its like a ceramic and then you paint.
You would have to be careful with the paint.

BUMP

I've been wanting to make some decorations myself. .  Seems like most of the LFS all stock the same items and have very little selection.
Anybody have experience making their own?
Please post some pictures of your decorations as well as how you've made them!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back