Discussing Those "should Be Fine" Fish That Ended Up As Snacks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Brodeur30

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Because of my past experiences caused by my Lima shovelnose's "expensive taste" (which includes several unique and expensive fish like pike cichlids and a male blue ahli), I figured I'd create a post to discuss mischievous predators and fish that weren't quite big enough

I read on lots of sites that it "should be fine" to keep pictus catfish with an oscar. I had a group of 4 fully grown pictus cats in with my 6" (at the time) oscar then one night I heard a buzzing noise and saw one of my pictus in the mouth of my oscar. Thankfully he dropped the pictus and both fish lived, Istill have them both now, separate tanks of course.

Well, this isnt a should be fine but it is a "If anything, this will kill that" 

I had a red devil (New world cichlid) and yellow lab (Old world cichlid) and they said that if I cant rehome them in time, the yellow lab would kill the red devil, not what happened.

The yellow lab was brutally murdered. As was the BN pleco. I only had them a few weeks, wasnt very tragic to me.

EllieJellyEllie said:

I had a red devil (New world cichlid) and yellow lab (Old world cichlid) and they said that if I cant rehome them in time, the yellow lab would kill the red devil, not what happened.

The yellow lab was brutally murdered. As was the BN pleco. I only had them a few weeks, wasnt very tragic to me.

Oh dear...I've never owned Cichlids, except rams, but surely when you get fish called red DEVILS and green TERRORS, doesn't that ring any alarms? I don't mean any disrespect to you EJE, please don't take this comment the wrong way, I mean it in a general sense...why do these fish have such aggressive sounding names in the first place?

fm1978 said:

Oh dear...I've never owned Cichlids, except rams, but surely when you get fish called red DEVILS and green TERRORS, doesn't that ring any alarms? I don't mean any disrespect to you EJE, please don't take this comment the wrong way, I mean it in a general sense...why do these fish have such aggressive sounding names in the first place?

Because they are that mean. Red Devils are one of the most aggressive new world cichlids. They grow about a foot long and can easily draw blood.

And, green terrors are old world right? Most of the old world cichlids are mean mean mean.

And, I didnt find it disrespecting at all, alot of people ask. :)

I had 2 tiger Oscars (one albino and normal) and they were getting along well with each other and whatever killers I had at the time. Then one day I woke up and the albino didn't have any fins. Shovelnose cats have by far given me the most trouble when it comes to eating tank mates because it's difficult to judge how big their mouth actually is, and because of how greedy they can be. I tried raising a very young tiger shovelnose in a small tank with some feeder fish and he died because his eyes were bigger than his stomach

Nothing happened yet as far as I know, but I have a ~20cm SL Chrisichthys ornatus in my "Congo rapids" 6-footer, which has a ~5cm gape when he/she "yawns." In theory, he/she could swallow any of my 4 ~10cm SL Euchilichthys guentheri/royauxi; 3 ~11-14cm SL Synodontis brichardi; ~10cm SL "golfball" Synodonits schoutedeni; ~8cm SL Steatocranus casuarius male; ~7cm SL Pantodon buchholzi.

I need to have a juggle round, either moving my bigger ~18-30cm SL fish down to the garage Rio400, or getting those vunerable fish out of harms way via an indoor tank juggle. I would be gutted to lose any of them through predation, albeit the Chrisichthys has grown up (very quickly) with them from being a skinny ~4cm SL catfish when bought in September 2012!

EllieJellyEllie said:

Because they are that mean. Red Devils are one of the most aggressive new world cichlids. They grow about a foot long and can easily draw blood.

And, green terrors are old world right? Most of the old world cichlids are mean mean mean.

And, I didnt find it disrespecting at all, alot of people ask.
smile.png

Green Terror's are new world.

These happened a long time, ago havent had any thing happen in quite some time now actually. So once i had a 8" koi, in my 75 gallon tropical tank which was very wrong in the first place and i was ill educated on the care of these fish, but my about 12" ornates bichir ate the entire thing which was very unexpected because of how wide the koi was. Also petsmart advised me my ten gallon was overstocked with cories, and it was but i asked if i had to get rid of them, she said no you can put them in your 75 gallon and i thought that doesnt sound good but she convinced me and it almost killed my small endlicheri bichir and actually did kill my african clawed frog that i owned for 5 years because its insides were ripped a part i suspect. Im trying to think back when i had a shovelnose catfish but i dont think i had any problems with the guy always had wide fish esp. because of my BGK.

star4 said:

And, I didnt find it disrespecting at all, alot of people ask.
smile.png

Green Terror's are new world.

Oops! Just looked them up. They are one of the bigger new worlds with nasty teeth :blush:

I was told (by a lfs) to put some corydoras in with my JD. It was terrible. I almost lost everyone.-Jackie included. One of the cories was lodged in her mouth it's little spines prevented it from being swallowed-(She eventually bit it in half ) terrible I still feel bad about that one.

I was to by a petsmart "expert" to put some cories in my 75 gallon because my 10 gallon was overstocked, which it wasnt it just had fish that grew to big for the tank, which i didnt know at the time and my beloved african clawed frog ate one and it went down the wrong way, needless to say i lost the poor guy.

My baby endilicheri bichir almost ate one as well.

Thought my Golden Cobra snakehead would be fine too. In a bizarre twist to the topic of this thread, he had his dinner before I went out, lights went off. Got home rather worse for wear and headed straight for bed, woke up in the morning and looked for him in the tank - nowhere to be seen.

He was on the floor about 5ft away from the tank completely dried up, yet when I picked him up he was still alive, put him back in the tank however he sadly didn't ever fully recover.

Snakeheads + one tiny hole in back top corner ... is a typical "should be fine".

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back