The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cameronb_01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a relatively new discus aquarium, (4-5 days) and I was watching my 3 10cm discus eat just now and they weren't really eating. I put in 2 frozen "Discus Diet" cubes. They sank to the bottom then 2 of them bit them a couple of times then all three swam quickly to the other side of the tank biting at the water. They then just dawdled around a bit and I left 5 minutes later. The majority of the two cubes were still on the other side of the tank. Is this a cause for concern or is it normal? Am I over feeding or will they come back and eat them later?

Thanks in advance for your response. 

Best wishes,

Cameron

I don't think your really "Overfeeding" lol I think your just putting 1 to many pieces of food in there x3 I would just lower feeding amount Slightly

Do you feed them anything else besides these? Is this the first time they've had this food? Did you thaw it out first before putting it in the tank? How long have you had the fish?

I defrosted it for 60 seconds then it floated on the top and sank in. They were fed frozen food by the supplier previously but he fed them a homemade mix.
Also is the swimming away part after a couple of bites normal?

It could just be they aren't used to it, especially if they were on a home made food before. Some fish can be fussy eaters and if they didn't like it, I could see why they swam off, probably trying to spit it out. I wouldn't leave the food in there for a long time though as you dont want it to dirty your water. I would keep attempting to give it to them on your feeding schedule, maybe they will get the hang of it. If not you may have to try something else. Someone with discus may be able to help you here.

I've kept a dozen Discus for about 7 months now and from the start they were fed on a homemade mix from the breeder. When that ran out I tried various shop brought frozen food with mixed results. I find that if they don't like it they won't eat it, simple. I now make my own mix based on beef heart that disappears in a flurry of stereotypical Piranha type feeding.  I even find that different brands of frozen food can be in or out of favour.

Don't leave the food in the tank for any longer than 15 minutes or so, it will only get stirred up and rot in the tank or in your filter. When Discus are juveniles they need to be fed 3 or 4 times a day so don't worry at the moment just make sure your water is Discus clean. keep going with the fresh/frozen food they do prefer it. If you do go down the route of making your own food don't forget Discus are meat eaters however, a few carefully selected veggies blitzed in with the beef heart will give them a much more complete diet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back