Discus & Armoured (Talking) Catfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Libby92

Reaction score
I have a 3ft tank (standard length & Width, slightly taller than normal) that is roughly 315-330 Ltrs depending on how much wood I put in it.

Id had angel fish living happily for years however after loosing my oldest/fave fish Kev I gave my other two angels to friends with Angel tanks.

I want to put something else in there however I have two very fat & happy Armoured Cat fish & I don't want to put anything in that will upset them. Iv read they are fairly easy to keep happy in terms of tank mates however I know discus can be the opposite.

Considering its a healthy tank with soft water I wanted to add 3 Dicus but iv also heard the PH needs to be more acidic so this may also upset my catfish?

I like having one species and don't want a huge community tank but am struggling to think of decent size fish that will be ok in my 3ft without crowding and will also be keeping my catfish happy.

Open to suggestions on how to keep the discus happy or other fish in general!

(I use a Fluval 406 external filter, have two heaters either side, heavily planted tank with anubias, crypt lutea & java moss on 1 large piece of drift wood)

Hi Libby, I probably wouldnt go for the Discus as you would be better basing the whole tank around these rather than adding them to an existing setting? Is it quite a large 3 foot tank? Ideally Im hoping you will say something like a 3x2x2? When you say Armoured Catfish, this can refer to quite a few different fish, is it some sort or Raphael cat like a striped or a spotted? Or it can refer to some species of Hoplo catfish or sometimes common plecs are reffered to as armoured.

Like I say I would avoid getting Discus and probably look at getting dwarf cichlids or perhaps some kind of smaller gourami of some kind?

What is your tank water like? What is your ph and what sort of hardness do you have?

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back