Dirt from the woods or Dirt from the garden store?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GradyH

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to put dirt so that I can grow some plants. I know I can put a lot of tanks just in my gravel but I'd like some sort of dirt at the bottom. I have been reading about this. Some people recommend just going outside and getting some dirt then baking it for a while to kill anything living in it. Some other people recommend I go and get some plant soil from a garden store. The garden store plant soil actually kind of makes sense to me because it might have nutrients but then I am scared of an algae out break. I plan on growing Elodea. Thanks.

idk if you know but aquarium plants don't need dirt to thrive, or live lol but yea it helps! :D
I suggest buying the dirt rather than using your backyard dirt. Buy dirt that has no chemicals in it though or else your fish tank is in trouble

The problem with purchased soil are:
  • It may have fertilizers in it designed for terrestrial plants. Aquatic plants have different nutrient requirements. terrestrial fertilizers can easily cause algae problems and may not have all the need trace elements aquatic plants need.
  • purchased soils often have a lot of bark or other organic materials. Most of this will actually float on the surface of the aquarium. The bark could also release tannins and other organic material that could color the water and trigger algae blooms.
  • purchased soils may not actually be sterile. Unless it says it is on the package assume it isn't and back it.
Getting soil from your back yard would be a better choice because you can select the material. with purchased soils you often don't know what you are getting until you open the bag.

I would go with a sand crushed coral mix over soil. The crushed coral will provide some nutrients and PH buffering capacity. Also note with any substrate the nutrient contents will be gradually be reduced over time. Some substrates will deplete in nutrients very quickly while others would take longer. Using a soil substrate may not eliminate the need for fertilizers.

Last edited:
I agree with Steven on soils, but if Elodea is your intended plant, forget any dirt. It will not benefit, and going through all the hassles of using dirt is just not worth it.

Ok. Thanks guys. I ended up getting some rocks and sand from a local creek bed. I then cooked it over the course of two days. I then put it in my tank and planted. It seems to be going fine now and the fish seems more active.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back