Dilemma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BOBJOESIM

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I've recently gotten into quite a predicament, I bought 6 neon tetras from a store for my 10 gallon aquarium, and 2 have died already from either stress or disease. I heard that these fish prefer schools of 6 or more, but I cannot buy anymore of these fish (I fear I wouldn't be able to take care of them properly after what has already happened) and the store itself doesn't accept returns on fish (even if you don't want the money back). What should I do?

Is the only reason you "cannot buy anymore" neons because you fear they will die, or the store is out of them?  If the latter, they will undoubtedly get more.

As for them dying, you need to find the reason if possible.  Knowing more about how you introduced them to the tank, your water parameters (GH, pH, temperature), any other fish in the tank, aquascaping (these fish do not appreciate open space), and lighting will help.  They also might have been injured in netting, or diseased...until we explore the options we won't know.

Byron.

Regardless of the cause of death of the original two, the four remainders will get stressed in as their numbers start to dwindle. Neons need a heavily planted tank to feel safe, with gentle filtration.

As Byron suggested, you need to find out the reason why things went wrong in the first place, if possible, and then go from there.

It's a rather planted aquarium, i have a cluster of floating elodea and a sword fern plant, along with a large piece of driftwood where they could hide under. What has happened so far: One tetra died at the beginning (within 5 hours of purchase), which I can only imagine being credited to stress. Another two have died from, what I assume, a whiteish line band towards the middle of the fish going vertically, it was like a disease where one fish had it, died, and it probably spread to the second, by which time I had quarantined it just to witness it die. The aquarium store thinks that it's a fungus infection, which I can only attribute to stress as well, considering how the ammonia and nitrate tests both came out to be 0ppm...The other three fish seem to be fine except for one (which has a red/exposed gill and breathes really quickly, but I've read that this is a possible genetic defect for tetras), and there is no sign of this whiteish growth on any of them. Is it crucial that I keep them in a school of 6+ or can they survive for the time being in a group of 3? 

BOBJOESIM said:
It's a rather planted aquarium, i have a cluster of floating elodea and a sword fern plant, along with a large piece of driftwood where they could hide under. What has happened so far: One tetra died at the beginning (within 5 hours of purchase), which I can only imagine being credited to stress. Another two have died from, what I assume, a whiteish line band towards the middle of the fish going vertically, it was like a disease where one fish had it, died, and it probably spread to the second, by which time I had quarantined it just to witness it die. The aquarium store thinks that it's a fungus infection, which I can only attribute to stress as well, considering how the ammonia and nitrate tests both came out to be 0ppm...The other three fish seem to be fine except for one (which has a red/exposed gill and breathes really quickly, but I've read that this is a possible genetic defect for tetras), and there is no sign of this whiteish growth on any of them. Is it crucial that I keep them in a school of 6+ or can they survive for the time being in a group of 3? 

From this data, I would tend to think the fish had some problem.  By any chance have any in the store tank also died or shown this?  I would not buy from this tank if yes.

It is always possible that fish can be damaged during netting; I am extremely careful, to the point of taking considerable time when I have to net fish, but even so I have once or twice managed to injure a fish.  The stress of being chased and netted and moved only adds to the problem, as you correctly mentioned.

But, there is also the problem that the fish might be carrying something.  Neon tetra are very weak fish these days, due in part to many years of commercial inbreeding.

As to the numbers, with all tetra which are characins, the more the better, long-term.  However, having only three is not going to kill them off, but it would be advisable to try and narrow down the issue before acquiring more.  As I said, if these symptoms are in the fish store tank, forget them.

Byron.

Byron said:

From this data, I would tend to think the fish had some problem.  By any chance have any in the store tank also died or shown this?  I would not buy from this tank if yes.

It is always possible that fish can be damaged during netting; I am extremely careful, to the point of taking considerable time when I have to net fish, but even so I have once or twice managed to injure a fish.  The stress of being chased and netted and moved only adds to the problem, as you correctly mentioned.

But, there is also the problem that the fish might be carrying something.  Neon tetra are very weak fish these days, due in part to many years of commercial inbreeding.

As to the numbers, with all tetra which are characins, the more the better, long-term.  However, having only three is not going to kill them off, but it would be advisable to try and narrow down the issue before acquiring more.  As I said, if these symptoms are in the fish store tank, forget them.

Byron.

Would you happen to know why one of the remaining tetras (the one with the exposed red gills), would be breathing extremely quickly and near the surface a lot of the time?

Would you happen to know why one of the remaining tetras (the one with the exposed red gills), would be breathing extremely quickly and near the surface a lot of the time?

It would be guessing to answer this, but it could be any of the previously-mentioned issues.  Respiration will obviously increase with any stress, but also if there is some disease pathogen involved (protozoan, parasitic, bacterial) that might affect the gills.  Water issues (lack of oxygen, excess of CO2, chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, excessive nitrate, some other toxin, some fungus...) would produce the same symptom.  A sudden change in pH, GH/TDS (hardness/total dissolved solids) or temperature rising would also lead to surface gasping.  As you can see, not easy to pin down.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back