Diet for Oscar?

The J man

Reaction score
Hey guys I am getting an Oscar Chichlid and I was wondering what diet I could feed it to make sure it stays happy and healthy. What is better for them a bare bottom tank or a tank with substrate. Thankyou

I reccomend Any Hikari products, like the predator sticks, I'm not sure what exactly there called, I think they have specialized oscar food too. Hikari is a very good trustable brand. Along with that you should feed him live foods, worms, fish, insects (do not feed feeder goldfish they are bad for predator fish despite their labels as feeders) and with sand vs bare bottom, it's really a matter of asthetics. Sand needs cleaning about twice a week, but the benefit of sand is that you can add plants, (granted you have root tabs in the sand) which act as sponges, soaking up the nasties in your water and imo are more asthetically pleasing than silk or plastic plants. The down side of sand is that when you get lazy and don't clean it it builds up
Deadly hydrogen sulfide gas, which can kill your fish, as long as the land bed is under an inch that really shouldn't be a problem though (as long as it's cleaned regularly). Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) can be alternative to weekly cleaning to weekly soil areation, though it will still need vacuuming. Bare bottom is fine as long as decor is added to make your oscar more comfortable

I reccomend Any Hikari products, like the predator sticks, I'm not sure what exactly there called, I think they have specialized oscar food too. Hikari is a very good trustable brand. Along with that you should feed him live foods, worms, fish, insects (do not feed feeder goldfish they are bad for predator fish despite their labels as feeders) and with sand vs bare bottom, it's really a matter of asthetics. Sand needs cleaning about twice a week, but the benefit of sand is that you can add plants, (granted you have root tabs in the sand) which act as sponges, soaking up the nasties in your water and imo are more asthetically pleasing than silk or plastic plants. The down side of sand is that when you get lazy and don't clean it it builds up
Deadly hydrogen sulfide gas, which can kill your fish, as long as the land bed is under an inch that really shouldn't be a problem though (as long as it's cleaned regularly). Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) can be alternative to weekly cleaning to weekly soil areation, though it will still need vacuuming. Bare bottom is fine as long as decor is added to make your oscar more comfortable
Would a couple of Ramshorn snails do a good job of aerating the soil and thanks for the info.

Any good quality pellet should be your staple diet and I wouldn't do Ramshorns with an Oscar. When it gets big enough it will eat them. Trumpet snails as suggested would be your best bet.

are there any other species of snail that would do well in an oscar tank for there are no Malaysian trumpet snails in any pet shop I have been to in WA.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back