Did My Fishless Cycle Stall?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

harlinz

Reaction score
Hello! I am totally new to the forum and could really use some help. I have had multiple fits and starts with fishless cycles over the last couple of months. I am committed to getting the tank cycled to avoid the stress on my future fish.

Stats:
20 gal tank w/flourescent lighting
lightly planted (8 plants)
Eco Complete substrate w/rock
Aqueon 55 gal filter w/additional filter floss to add more surface for bacteria

I have been cycling with pure Ammonia. I had a nitrite spike and was cycling ammonia 3ppm in 24 hrs and Nitrite in 36hrs. I was patiently awaiting this process to get to 12 hrs. THEN 2 weeks ago I dosed with ammonia as usual and readings since have shown no Nitrite and in is taking the Ammonia 48hrs to cycle.

I have done water changes with declorinated water every 2 weeks (including around the time of the last stall). I added the plants about a month ago...which now I realize was not the best during fishless cycling.

I am not sure why I am no longer getting any Nitrite readings. Ammonia processing is slowly speeding up and is now at 0 in about 36hrs. Thoughts??

what is the pH ? , mine dropped to around 6 and it stalled .....

I didn't even think of that! Came home and did full panel of tests. This is after dosing ammonia 36hrs ago

ph low 6.0 (very light so most likely below)
ph high 7.4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80-160

So what did you do to get things back on track? How do I keep my PH higher?

what is the pH ? , mine dropped to around 6 and it stalled .....

I didn't even think of that! Came home and did full panel of tests. This is after dosing ammonia 36hrs ago

ph low 6.0 (very light so most likely below)
ph high 7.4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80-160

So what did you do to get things back on track? How do I keep my PH higher?

i used a small amount of bicarb of soda mixed with tank water to raise mine , try a little at a time and check to see what the pH is , i only had to do it the once and the cycle continued and finished a few days later ....

I agree. I ended up having to use bicarbonate of soda during my cycle after it stalled. The good news is that when you do get your ph up using this, everything should be back on track within a few days :)

Just wanted to say thank you! My cycle got back on track and completed. Now I have 6 neon tetras with more tank mates to come over the next couple of months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back