Diatoms

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I do dose seachem flourish comp each week on the day of waterchange,so once a week at 0.8 mL.The only plants are wisteria and staurogyne repens,which have not contracted brown algae.

I do dose seachem flourish comp each week on the day of waterchange,so once a week at 0.8 mL.The only plants are wisteria and staurogyne repens,which have not contracted brown algae.

Wisteria is not an easy plant, as I said. I have no luck with it, too little light. I suggest you get the diatom issue solved, then if necessary try different plants. I assume the ones in the other tanks are OK? And there is no dirt in those tanks?

Yes,you are correct.My other 5 gallon with sand has a little bit of diatoms but thats cause it just got done cycling last week.The thing is I can grow wisteria fine its the diatoms though that isn't helping.So what shall I do?

Yes,you are correct.My other 5 gallon with sand has a little bit of diatoms but thats cause it just got done cycling last week.The thing is I can grow wisteria fine its the diatoms though that isn't helping.So what shall I do?

I don't know, frankly. I hope someone else can offer some help. I've covered everything I can think of.

We got a issue Byron!I don't think its diatoms.If brush algae can be the same color I think its that.I think I got brush/bba now!Along with hair algae.I went ahead and lowered lights down to 7 hours and put in diy co2.Im about to do a water change and only put in 0.2-0.4 of flourish in.Any idea of something else I could do?

I find many who say "diatoms" are actually dealing with a form of brush or beard algae. These algae come in colours from very dark green to dark red/black to dark brown. Technically, they are red algae. They be like tufts, or like a tough coating. They do not come off easily, requiring quite vigorous scraping and on plant leaves this always destroys the leaf. Diatoms easily come off with a fingertip.

Reducing light, either intensity or duration, and limiting fertilizers can help with brush/beard algae. This is the one I have battled for decades, and I can always get it under control but light has been the major factor. I used to have it suddenly increase in summer, until I recognized that this was due to the additional daylight entering the room. Heavy drapes solved this. But it shows how sensitive to the slightest light change it can be.

I dose 0.8 mL of Seachem comp flourish

I assume you are actually saying Seachem Flourish Comprehensive? If so keep the following in mind. When Sechem developed this fertilizer the common recommendation to reduce algae was was to keep nitrogen and phosphorous levels as low as possible. If your tank already has low levels of nitrogen and phosphorous you might develop a macro deficiency that can encourage algae. I have personally gotten better plant growth if I keep my nitrate level between 5 and 15ppm. For phosphate the Seachem recipe gives you about 0.4 ppm of phosphate. I have gotten better results with about 1ppm Phosphate. If you push these levels higher you may start to run out of sulfur and iron.

You could supplement these or you can try adjusting your water change schedule. For example dong a water change once per week try doing one every other week This could help increase you nutrient level somewhat and maybe that would help. However you don't want the hardness level of your water to go up. So if your water hardness goes up you might want to increase the volume of the water change. Another thing I am going to start doing in my aquarium is to apply fertilizer right before the lights turn off for the day. I am seeing indications that plants can absorb nutrients at night when algae is pretty much inactive. Another thing you can do it to increase or reduce your Flourish Comprehensive dose.

Yeah,I may just try(for now) reducing my dose on the fertilizer.From what I have read the dirt I put in leaches nutrients in the water for a while so the algae takes that and starts using it.While im here.Would you say a Ozelot sword would be ok in my tank? It is a 6500k bulb with 860 lumens.And diy co2 and 0.8 mL flourish (for now).Also is it a heavy root feeder?

Ah ok.Then the only question I have for you is what would you consider my light?It a 6500k 860 lumens on a 5 gallon close to the tank.,like a hood.Like low,medium,high?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back