Diatoms

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I got a 5 gallon aquarium,not my first tank.And it has diatoms.Now I got two other tanks(varying in sizes) that have never got diatoms.And they both have black substrate of some sort and both have hoods.My tank has a desk lamp for lighting,with a 6500k bulb 860 lumens.Any idea what it could be?Also both the tanks with no diatoms have no timer.So when I get up tank turns on,when it gets dark it turns off.

Diatoms are common in new tanks--new meaning within the first 4 months or so. Not every new tank will get diatoms, some do and some don't. They occur from an unstable biological system. Every tank will be biologically different, which is why you may see diatoms in some but not others.

Having said that, members often call a form of brush algae diatoms. Diatoms will easily come off surfaces with your fingertips, whereas brush algae will not and is very difficult to remove.

Byron.

I will tell you what I know know.Both tanks,that have diatoms are sand.Im wondering if they started leaching silicates/phosphates,and the plants started eating them and possibly now the silicates/phosphates have built up past what the plants can consume so algae started to tank advantage.I doubt it is the new 6500k bulbs I put in my aquariums.So im guessing possibly what I think?
I know its brown.I know that its stuck on the sand or you know,kinda its like my white sand turned brown and the brown wont come off.I also know that the plant leaves(possibly cause I just changed the light to a new 6500k?)turn downwards a little bit and some plants also have this "diatom" brown stuff on it.Not all over them but in some places on the leaves.I can't tell if the black sand has it because its black.I will just say,what would be the best course of action?Wait and see if it goes away,Gets seachem phosguard,or something else im not thinking of?

Does the brown stuff easily come off of plant leaves with your fingertip?

I'm not a fan of adding anything to deal with algae issues as it is all a matter of light and nutrients. I doubt the sand would be doing this.

It comes off semi-easily.My lighting is 6500k,and I dose 0.8 mL of Seachem comp flourish every week once a week after water change.Any problem there?Lights are on for 8-9 hours I believe.Pretty constantly I got a timer on it.

Also what causes the tip of plant leaves to kinda point downwards?Only the plants with diatoms seem to do this,just wondering though if it is light or nutrient.

Also I did dirt the tank.

It is always helpful to provide all the data with the question. Dirt is always going to cause issues during the first six months or so with nutrients/algae/ammonia depending.

On the plant leaf question, can you post a photo?

Oh ok so the brown algae stuff is just cause of the dirt I put in?I was wondering about that.And yes when the lights come on I can give you a picture.

Here is pictures of the sand/dirt layer,leaves, and sand.
upload_2017-6-18_14-13-30.png

upload_2017-6-18_14-13-53.png

upload_2017-6-18_14-14-11.png

upload_2017-6-18_14-14-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-18_14-14-44.png
    upload_2017-6-18_14-14-44.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 76
Oh ok so the brown algae stuff is just cause of the dirt I put in?I was wondering about that.And yes when the lights come on I can give you a picture.

The dirt contains organics, most likely, that is why some use it as a bottom layer. These can impact the water chemisty a lot, causing high ammonia sometimes, or at the very least high nutrients. And that feeds algae. You could see the same if you overdose plant fertilizers. And the light is also part of it. The diatoms on the sand is most likely due to the organics/nutrients from the soil under it.

Ok if the sand has diatoms thats ok but what can I do about the plants being brown/curling leaves.

Are you dosing any plant fertilizers? The light is OK now, though I can't say it will be sufficient for Wisteria; this is a fast growing stem plant which therefore needs more light than some other plants.

I have heard about people using hydrogen peroxide for algae.Will it 3% h202 work on diatoms?

No, this is not going to help, and only make things worse. The answer is to resolve the underlying problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back