Deteriorating Hi-Fin Molly!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LicianDragon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 5 month old female hi-fin molly that has been deteriorating over the past couple weeks. She's gone from being active, always swimming with my tiger platy and female guppies, to staying by herself with her fins clamped at the top of the water. Her swimming is becoming more shaky with occasional "falls" where she'll go completely vertical with her head up. Her poop was ridiculously stringy last night and clear to white. As of this morning she isn't eating. There are no visible injuries or infections on her. No other fish are having symptoms.
Tank specs are-

20 gallons, planted with eco-complete substrate
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates ~10ppm
25% of the water is changed weekly.
73F temperature

Tank mates-

1 male red-tiger platy
1 male guppy
3 female guppies
3 julii cory catfish
1 reticulated hillstream loach
1 red tail sand loach

The white poo is usually a sign of internal parasites. Any recent additions to the tank? Does she look bloated?
I'd look at treating with Sterazin - http://www.waterlife...fe/sterazin.htm

Sophie said:
The white poo is usually a sign of internal parasites. Any recent additions to the tank? Does she look bloated?
I'd look at treating with Sterazin - http://www.waterlife...fe/sterazin.htm
No recent additions and no bloating. The url didn't work but I'll look in Sterazin. Is it ok for invertebrates? I have multiple snail species that I don't want to lose either.

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/sterazin.htm

Bizarre - all I know is not to use with crustaceans etc for obvious reasons, doesn't say anything about inverts.
I moved all my shrimp to a separate tank but I didn't have any snail's when I used this - sorry can't be of more help there. Maybe Google or give the company a call? Not sure which country you are in so can't advise more than that :p
If you're not British then you might need to find an alternative treatment as I don't think Waterlife is available outside the UK.

the poo is the sign of internal issues, is she is skinny, which probably is, treat with (believe that it is called that ) pemaflex, and remove carbon from filter... also a picture would be better to help with the fish.

Thanks for your help guys! She's actually doing much better this morning! Her fins are no longer clamped and she's back to being active again!  She also accepted food again this morning! To answer Fishaholic's question she's not skinny. I tried getting a picture of her anyway but she won't sit still long enough which I guess is a good thing! Thanks again everyone for your help! Hopefully she truly is better!

Internal parasites don't magically disappear though.. Keep an eye - if she's still pooing white then she still needs treating. Same goes for the rest of the tank, probably infected also.

Sophie said:
Internal parasites don't magically disappear though.. Keep an eye - if she's still pooing white then she still needs treating. Same goes for the rest of the tank, probably infected also.
I'm keeping a close eye on them. So far everything's been fine. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back