Dennerle Nano Cube 60 - What stock?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

steve_b21

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can some one please point me in the right direction here please.

What fish type(s) could I place in a Nano Cube?

dennerle-nano-cube-60l-1576-p.jpg

60 Litres
38x38x43cm

Last edited:
Hi, If you can give us a list of your water parameters we can work to find some fish which are compatible for you. We are looking for Gh, Kh, Nitrates and ph of your water.
Will/ does this have a heater?
Does this tank have a filter?
What plans do you have for the decorations of the tank, gravel/sand? plants? rock/wood?

Is the tank Cycled? If not please see this link on how to cycle your tank
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Good afternoon.

Will get water readings done soon.

Tank will have a heater and filter - which ones, I'm not sure of yet.
Decorations, plants, gravel - I do not have any! Starting fresh/clean.

Did have a tropical tank a while back so I am familiar with the cyclin process.

Can you take the tank back and get something longer?
Generally any aquarium that is less than 2 foot long is going to be difficult to find fish for.

The 100 litre tank has better dimensions and will give you more choice of fish.

Post the GH and pH when you get them.

Before you buy the tank, go to the pet shop and make a list of fish and plants you like. We can go through them and suggest combinations that will work in that tank and with your water.

Agree with Colin, fish need enough horizontal swimming space to easily get to full speed if they want to, otherwise, problems with obesity and muscle loss, along with the associated long term health problems, can occur.

The majority of solitary fish are recommended at least 6 times thier maximum adult length on average, with many of the more active species doing better in longer tanks than this.
For schooling fish, it is generally a good idea to at least double this length to 12 times the maximum adult length for schooling fish, once again with this as a minimum and longer tanks being better.

A couple of important notes on this:

Be sure to get a second opinion on maximum fish size, some shops underestimate this, especially for larger species.

In general, Aquariums under 15 gallons, or about 57 liters, unless they are specifically stocked with the smallest available species, tend to reach the stocking limit faster than many would like for a general community aquarium.

In general Aquariums under ten gallons are more difficult than larger tanks to keep, being inherently more unstable, and having much less margin for mistakes that may not cause any effect at all in a larger tank.

This is about the equivalent of a 25 gallon cube, for those using Imperial.
60 centimeters is similar in length is about the same as a 15 gallon long.

Mostly very small non aggressive fish, under 5 centimeters 2" for schooling fish, and under 10 centimeters adult length for fish that don't mind being kept singly, or in pairs, would likely not outgrow this tank.
We will need to know if your source water is soft, hard, or neutral before getting more specific than this.
The stock lists will be very different depending on your water chemistry, as well as what temperature you plan on using.

I see that local seller is on a UK Site.

From what I hear UK water is generally fairly hard, and high PH, but it would still be a good idea to confirm the exact degree of hardness with either a test kit or from your water supplier.

In a Cube like the one in the first post if the water is hard I would go with male Endlers about 10 of them, If the water is soft I would go with Chilli or Dwarf Rasboras, in both cases the tank should be heavily planted.

You could also consider a Betta.

From what I hear UK water is generally fairly hard, and high PH, but it would still be a good idea to confirm the exact degree of hardness with either a test kit or from your water supplier.

South east England has very hard water but vast areas of the rest of the UK have soft water. The north of England where I live has soft water, as does Scotland.

Most UK water companies give hardness on their websites, though they don't give KH. And most UK water companies use mg/l calcium as the unit, though I have seen one that uses mg/l calcium oxide. This is why we need the unit as well as the number, so we can convert it to mg/l calcium carbonate or German degrees.

Most reactions

Back