Deformed Rasbora - HELP ASAP. What is wrong?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

otohime

Reaction score
I bought 8 rasboras today. I didn't notice until I got home but three or four of them appear for have abnormalities. Their fins are limp and kind of curved rather than erect like they should be.

They have been in my tank for a few hours now.

One of them (the one in photo) could barely swim and stayed in a corner by himself. I figure that means he will die, so I quarantined him. Unfortunately, my "quarantine" is just a one galleon bowl. No filter, so I don't know how long they can live in there even with water changes or if that is a death sentence in of itself.

Here's my question:

Do I need to quarantine the rest of them? Or the two that are presenting symptoms? Does anyone know if having a tail like that means they will definitely die? Are they contagious? Is it likely that even the ones that look normal have some kind of disease or parasite?

Attachments

• IMG_5693.jpg
    IMG_5693.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Don't put the fish into a 1 gallon bowl without a filter because the fish will die faster than if it was left in the tank with a filter.

How long has the tank been set up for?

What other fish are in the tank?

Can you post pictures of the other fish?
Make sure you use a flash on the camera.

The fish could be mutants with genetic defects or they might have some awful diseases but the fish in the picture looks deformed. If I can see pics of the other fish I will have more to go on.

Okay. here are some more photos. They are hard to capture (and the flash washed them out).

One of them who had signs of a deformed tail fin died last night. The remaining six are schooling around and seem okay. Of those six, two have signs of limp fins, two seem healthy, and two I am not sure about.

The one I had in the bowl (the one in the photo above) is fine, but I added him back into the community tank. He is twitching in corner. I call it twitching because he doesn't seem to be able to swim very well. That one is the most deformed and is smaller than the rest.

I've had the tank set-up for about five weeks. The only other fish are two guppies, who have been in there about a week. There's also four snails who have been in there for three weeks.

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5724.JPG

A couple of the fish look deformed (genetic defects). You could go back to the shop and look at the remaining rasboras at the shop and see if any of them are deformed. Then I would return the deformed ones and ask for some replacements, a refund or a store credit.

I am unsure where they got the rasboras from because they are not normally bred locally and the Asian breeders usually supply fish that are pretty good and don't look deformed.

Some of the fish in the pictures look like they have a cream/ white sheen on their backs near the dorsal fin, which could be a protozoan infection or it could be the picture.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back