Dead Pictus Cats

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chaydell

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Long story short I came home from work to find 2 of my 3 pictus cats dead. Did a water test and everything was good. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ppm.

None of them were acting sick or weird and the one that's left is still acting normal. I am assuming they were killed by another fish but were both were partially eaten by the time I got home so it is hard to tell. I have a rainbow shark, flying fox, a pair of Bolivian rams and 12 tiger barbs in the tank. I'm considering getting the pictus cats back to 3 but want to try and avoid another killing.

So any ideas on what might have happened? I have what I thought was plenty of hiding spots for the cats but after this I think I am going to add more. I'm also now concerned that my tank may not be big enough even tho past research led me to believe it was. The tank is 55g 4 ft long. So any thought on what happened and how to avoid it or if I should just stick to one pictus for now.

How big is your rainbow shark now? That'd be the first one I'd look at.

Have you treated the water with anything new or used any meds recently?

So the rainbow shark is about 4 inches long, same as the pictus cats.  No meds and nothing different to treat the water.  I'm thinking it is the rainbow too and am wondering if I add some more cave and hiding spots if I can avoid this happening again.

My pictus was hard as nails so i doubt it is disease related.  Probably the rainbow shark.... 

Ok so it seems like the rainbow is likely the culprit.  Is it reasonable to believe that adding some more caves/hiding places can make for a safer environment?

I'm not willing to lose the rainbow, despite the fact he can be a pain in the rear, so if adding more hiding places doesn't have a chance of making the environment safer for pictus cats I'll need to rehome the lone survivor.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back