Dead Fish-novice Owner!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

clottie

Reaction score
I bought a complete fish tank ensemble 3 weeks ago, treated the water as instructed by the pet shop and left for a week before introducing fish. I bought 5 neon tetras and was planning to buy more 2 weeks later. Today i found 3 fish trapped around the bottom of the filter and another missing- nowhere to be seen. I now have only 1 left and i am worried he won't survive as he is looking stressed. Any idea why the fish would have got sucked towards the filter? I feel very sad!

Sorry to hear about the dead fish. Unfortunately it sounds like you weren't given the best advice on how to cycle a new fish tank. Check out this link to learn more about it. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/. The fish waste creates ammonia which is toxic to fish. The cycle is a process whereby certain beneficial bacteria grow that consume ammonia and covert it to nitrite. This is still toxic but yet other bacteria come along that convert the nitrite into nitrate which the fish can handle. This process takes time to happen and is best done without any fish in the tank by adding your own ammonia source. I use a piece or two of raw table shrimp myself. Some people use liquid ammonia.

Many thanks for this advice. I was given water treatment but wasn't advised to use a kit to check the ammonia levels.
Just hope now that my one fish survives!
Thanks again.

Many thanks for this advice. I was given water treatment but wasn't advised to use a kit to check the ammonia levels.
Thanks again.

Did the other fish get sucked into the filter?
wacko.png

Thanks again.
The key to helping the fish survive is to do frequent water changes to keep the ammonia levels down. This can drag out the time it takes to cycle but saves the fish.

I have lost the last fish. I think they most probably became sick and then weren't able to swim away from the filter. It was a sad experience.
Does anyone recommend an under gravel filter? We have bought an all-in-one tank with a vertical filter.

Sorry to hear that. I know it can be frustrating to lose fish. I don't personally recommend under gravel filters but I know others who do. I like canister filters. However, I think the key in your case is to let the tank cycle without fish for a while using liquid ammonia or table shrimp to cycle with. I have a feeling that the build up of ammonia was the reason for the fish death.

I have lost the last fish. I think they most probably became sick and then weren't able to swim away from the filter. It was a sad experience.
Does anyone recommend an under gravel filter? We have bought an all-in-one tank with a vertical filter.
Do you know how many litres per hour or gallons per hour your filter is because there is also a chance that your filter is a bit strong for your tank but I doubt that was what killed your fish? I also think ammonia was most likely the culprit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back