Dead cherry shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So woke up and saw a dead cherry shrimp in the front of the tank :-(.

Near to it was a amano shrimp shedded skin and also a small shedded skin. The amano skin I saw a few days ago but the dwarf shedded skin I saw today. I'm just wondering on the cause of its death. I have cardinals, amano shrimps and cherries and velvets. The carcous didn't look like it got munched on.

Could it be a problem with molting? Water parameters are good with ammonia and Nitrites being 0ppm and nitrates at 5ppm.

:rip:

Sorry to hear that.

Is this one of the new shrimp you just got? Not what you want to hear but sometimes that just happens and its nothing you have done wrong (stress of moving + your water is different to what they are used to). If convenient you could ask for a replacement, but if you still have a berried girl you probably don't need one.

About 6 months ago I bought 10. 3 died within the first week and now I have far more than I can count.

Sorry to hear that.

Is this one of the new shrimp you just got? Not what you want to hear but sometimes that just happens and its nothing you have done wrong (stress of moving + your water is different to what they are used to). If convenient you could ask for a replacement, but if you still have a berried girl you probably don't need one.

About 6 months ago I bought 10. 3 died within the first week and now I have far more than I can count.

I got him about over a week ago but put him and the other two in my smaller tank for about a week before I removed the danios in my new tank to put them in. Could be the stress of them being moved into two tanks. Was only in the new tank for 4 days.

Hopefully there won't be any more deaths. Good news though I spotted the pregnant velvet shrimp yesterday and one of my vallinseria is sprouting out a runner. The pregnant female likes to hide a lot so don't get to see her as much as the other shrimps

So woke up and saw a dead cherry shrimp in the front of the tank :-(.

Near to it was a amano shrimp shedded skin and also a small shedded skin. The amano skin I saw a few days ago but the dwarf shedded skin I saw today. I'm just wondering on the cause of its death. I have cardinals, amano shrimps and cherries and velvets. The carcous didn't look like it got munched on.

Could it be a problem with molting? Water parameters are good with ammonia and Nitrites being 0ppm and nitrates at 5ppm.

:rip:
How long has the tank been running for? I learned the hard way, got the tank cycled, added about 80 to the tank, and they started to die. 300 dollars later I realized that they need a very mature tank.

How long has the tank been running for? I learned the hard way, got the tank cycled, added about 80 to the tank, and they started to die. 300 dollars later I realized that they need a very mature tank.

It's been over a month now. Sadly today now I saw one of my pseudomugil luminatous floating dead at the top. Looks to have little bits of its fins shredded. About yesterday or the day before I saw one of them not looking eager to eat.

Good news I can say is one of my cherry shrimps is carrying eggs now. I believe the father is a velvet blue shrimp. Saw my female velvet blue which was carrying eggs looking good. There's just one shrimp I haven't seen for a few days which I hope is alive and very good at hiding.

If you are losing rainbowfish (Pseudomugils), add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt per 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the water for 2-4 weeks.

If there is no improvement after 48 hours, double the dose.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. And clean the filter before treating. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Thanks Colin

Its only been just 2 weeks since putting them in. Have to say one of them has grown fast and looks healthy. Other one looks good also. Could it be due to having a small number of them? I have 2 now so would it be good to have at least a group of 6? I've noticed they like to school with the cardinals (which I have 12 of).

All rainbowfish should be kept in groups of 6 or more. In an aquarium 8-10 is an ideal number for breeding but you can keep as many as you like as long as there is at least 6.

Rainbows do not die form being in small groups. It's either a water quality issue or disease. Check the fish for white, cream, grey or red patches on the body or fins. Look for a slight milky discolouration in the body. Breathing heavily, clamped fins, erratic spinning are all issues in fish and especially rainbowfish.

Try to keep the pH above 7.0 and the GH above 150ppm. Rainbowfish tend to do better in hard water rather than soft water.

There is more info on rainbowfishes at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

If you want to post a picture of them I will check them for anything unusual. :)

All rainbowfish should be kept in groups of 6 or more. In an aquarium 8-10 is an ideal number for breeding but you can keep as many as you like as long as there is at least 6.

Rainbows do not die form being in small groups. It's either a water quality issue or disease. Check the fish for white, cream, grey or red patches on the body or fins. Look for a slight milky discolouration in the body. Breathing heavily, clamped fins, erratic spinning are all issues in fish and especially rainbowfish.

Try to keep the pH above 7.0 and the GH above 150ppm. Rainbowfish tend to do better in hard water rather than soft water.

There is more info on rainbowfishes at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

If you want to post a picture of them I will check them for anything unusual. :)

Thanks Colin managed to get some pictures. The top left is the energetic one which happily eats and the bottom right is the one in question

https://m.imgur.com/RGC0m6X,b2M2rxr,7zI2eAG,0MtZOpb

I can't tell anything from the picture.

Make sure you use a flash on the camera, turn the room and tank light on, open the curtains and take a bunch of pictures. Put them on your computer and pick out a couple that show the fish clearly. Then upload them. :)

So today saw another dead cherry in the back. Looks to have its back half missing. Just checked ammonia and nitrites and they are 0ppm

If the water quality is good and there are no weird colours or marks on the dead shrimp, it might have died from old age and simply got partially eaten.

Need pictures to get more idea of what is wrong. :)

You said the tank is only a month old right? That's what I'm saying, they need a very mature tank as they eat the microorganisms from the tank along with algae. What's your nitrates ?

Agree with Sarah on checking your nitrates, freshwater crustaceans are one of the most sensitive animals to nitrates in the freshwater Fishkeeping hobby, they can be killed by levels a lot of fish species wouldn't even notice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back