Daphnia tank set up

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

splasher72

Reaction score
I have got a 25 to 30 ltr plastic tank, filled it with rain water, put in a outside filter but no filter medium (sponge) this was just to circulate water, got 2 packs of live Daphnia and put in tank, added a little yeast, the tank is in my greenhouse.
Just got to sit back and wait now.

A larger tank or container will be far better it would also be good to add one or two lettuce leaves.

Food for thought (oh, that's punny!)...

Way back in the day (likes 60's/70's), commercial fish foods were typically of a lower quality so a combination of many live foods were a better way to provide fish with the best nutrition. Still today there are many commercial fish foods that use lower quality fish-meal with copious amounts of starch from grains as filler/binder. Often some grain (wheat, oat, rice or gluten) will be listed as the 1st or 2nd (primary) ingredient in the ingredient list.
The trouble is the poor quality of some fish-meals and unlike fresh fish and plant matter, fish can't really digest grains so it just passes through as excess waste.
However, nowadays there are several high quality commercial fish foods to give our fish a balanced diet. (I remember way back when I switched to higher quality foods, my fish suddenly produced much less waste! ... and less waste means a cleaner tank with lower nitrates)

Daphnia is not a very nutritious food source so use as a treat or be sure to also feed many other live or frozen foods and/or a high quality commercial food.

I have never setup a daphnia tank, but understand they feed mostly on algae, so you'd typically setup a tank in the sun before adding the daphnia culture and/or you might grow algae in a jar(s) to feed. I'd also think feeding spirulina powder might be better than yeast.

It looks like bad news on my Daphnia tank, dead, dead, dead.
I have come to the conclusion it was to cold in my greenhouse.
Plan 2-: I have a bran new 50w Aqua heater with temp adjuster that came all the way from Hong Kong.
I am going to empty the tank, add rain water, put the heater in to temp 22c, then down to my fish shop for more Daphnia.
I will also put the lid on the tank this time.
This will be its last chance.
I could bring the tank in side but that would be pushing my luck with my wife.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back