Danios Behaving Strangely

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

homerhotspur

Reaction score
Zebra danios (5) started behaving in an odd way on Sunday. First they seemed to swim back and forth in an absolute frenzy. One in particular was sort of doing a dog chasing its tail thing and tried to scrabble into the substrate. After about 5 minutes , it seemed exhausted and just rested on the bottom. Just as we were getting worried, it started swimming around again. Since then, however ,all of the Danios seem to be keeping to the bottom of the tank and, in particular, swimming round and round one of the larger plants. They were not their normal interested self at feeding time yesterday and seem to be pre occipied with something else.

When this first started , I had just installed an air pump but turned it off after the first reaction and it hasn't been on for 2 days now so it can't be that. The other occupants(Cardinal Tetras) are all normal.

Any ideas?

if the water quality is ok and the fish are feeding normally and none have died then I would say they were probably breeding. Males chase the females around and display to each other. Then they swim into or near some plants and scatter eggs in the plants.

I agree, it could be breeding. Mine did a similar thing,chasing each other then swimming round each other with their dorsal and anal fin spread then darted into the plants. Its nothing to worry about :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back