Damselfly Nymph

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cambspaul

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just did a small water change and found this tiny shrimp looking thing in my tank . It was about 1 cm long and almost totally clear . Ive been reading up and im sure its a damselfly nymph .
Has anyone found these in there tank and do you know how they can get in there ?

Possibly came in on plant matter. Predator get rid
Regards
C

Looks like?
damselfly_nymph_2911082189_88_stack.jpg

My wife did a bit of digging around online and found this site http://www.bumblebee.org/invertebrates/Odonata1.htm From what I can tell, the Damselfly and Dragon fly nymph's are different. The one we killed doesn't look like that photo Zuulan, then again ours might of been very young.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them. We have 5 Camboba plants? Which is where we sucked up the one we found, during a water change.

My wife did a bit of digging around online and found this site http://www.bumblebee.org/invertebrates/Odonata1.htm From what I can tell, the Damselfly and Dragon fly nymph's are different. The one we killed doesn't look like that photo Zuulan, then again ours might of been very young.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them. We have 5 Camboba plants? Which is where we sucked up the one we found, during a water change.
Hiya Cambspaul, I had exactly the same in my tank. I only ever found the one though, i put it in my outdoor pond and that was that! If you find that you get more I'd just fish them out, but I wouldn't say that you will definitely have anymore in the tank =] Amy xx

Hiya Cambspaul, I had exactly the same in my tank. I only ever found the one though, i put it in my outdoor pond and that was that! If you find that you get more I'd just fish them out, but I wouldn't say that you will definitely have anymore in the tank =] Amy xx
Hopefully it is just the one , it was very hard to see . Thanks Amy

It won't be a recurring problem. You may find a few more, but if you fish them out you'll not get any more, as they only breed once they have become adults, and I'm sure you'd notice a load of them flying about. :good:

Looks like?
damselfly_nymph_2911082189_88_stack.jpg
thats a dragonfly nymph...Different species and much more predatory than damselfly. Most damselfly nymphs eat algae and detritus. Small water critters. Would really only be harmful to tiny fry or shrimplets.
cheers

It is a great pic; I never realised that dragonflies had wings while still in the nymph stage.

I've always fancied having a set-up for native(UK) invertebrates; maybe I'll get around to it one day!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back