Dalmation Mollies Keep Dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mystichorseangel

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a pretty intermediate fish owner, and have two tropical aquariums.
recently I purchased a Dalmatian Molly from Petsmart and I found it dead in less than a week. A month later I decided to try again. this time I got a Dalmatian molly as well as a yellow molly (I forget the proper name) I floated the bags on top of the water, gradually acclimated them to the changes in pH and everything before initially releasing them. In a couple of days the yellow molly began to swim in loop-de-loop ways, swirling and moving with the current in the tank, and the next day it was dead. A few days later the Dalmatian was dead as well. I had other fish in the tank, two black tetras and a red gourami, and none of them were picking on my mollies. The red gourami did nip at the yellow molly's spear tail a little, but that couldn't have possibly killed it, since other than a few nips on the tail, the molly was healthy. I have a filter and a heater, I do regular water changes. I have no clue why they keep dying on me. I have since stopped buying mollies, but I would like to try again.

you probably didn't cycle your tank, that will do it.
read up on this site for fish in or fishless cycle and do not buy anymore fish until your water is safe.

I heard petsmart has bad stocks,

Most of their stock is either inbred or sick.

May I suggest buying online next time? or buying from a reputable seller who has good stock

It sounds like you aren't quarantining your new fish at all- You really should, especially if these new fish all seem to have something wrong with them. If you are set on getting these mollies, perhaps try a different store? Or is the same person netting them each time? It's possible they are experiencing shock from the capture and the sudden tank change is just topping it off.

My tank had been very well cycled before hand since it is a tank I set up months in advance. Water stats I unfortunately have yet to get a kit and test, but my fish seem to be thriving very well, so I don't think anything is aloof. It might just be the fish from that particular store.

Oh and you are right, I forgot to quarantine them :p rookie mistake on my part.

mystichorseangel said:
My tank had been very well cycled before hand since it is a tank I set up months in advance. Water stats I unfortunately have yet to get a kit and test, but my fish seem to be thriving very well, so I don't think anything is aloof. It might just be the fish from that particular store.

Oh and you are right, I forgot to quarantine them
tongue2.gif
rookie mistake on my part.

Yup but but always check the quality of stock so you wont waste your money on bad stock

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back