Cylindrical pond guppy population problem

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Guppy reproducing and increased population so i want to reduce it. I was thinking about adding predator fish which will keep population moderate. Can you suggest any predator fish which can stand in temperature range 13-28 degree. But that fish should not grow beyond 1 feet.

why don't you just remove some of the guppies and sell them?
Those are common guppies. So hardly anyone can buy them. And i gave many of them to my friends. They took only male

If you take out as many guppies as you can you can look for deformities and any other issues, that will probably thin the herd a bit. Try and take steps to reduce the number of breeding pairs in the pond manually.
But I wouldn't recommend adding a predator fish, I don't really agree with that, or using feeder fish. But each to their own.
Instead if you have too many, take out all the males or females, thin the herd down by removing those with deformities, or just remove some and either humanely kill them (not best) or sell them/ give them away.

You could also take all the fish out and put some nice guppies in to breed. If you don't want to breed guppies put something else in the pond.

If you take out as many guppies as you can you can look for deformities and any other issues, that will probably thin the herd a bit. Try and take steps to reduce the number of breeding pairs in the pond manually.
But I wouldn't recommend adding a predator fish, I don't really agree with that, or using feeder fish. But each to their own.
Instead if you have too many, take out all the males or females, thin the herd down by removing those with deformities, or just remove some and either humanely kill them (not best) or sell them/ give them away.
Personally i dont want to kill them directly by me. That was waste of those fry. So i thought to add predator fish so at least that fish will eat them. But i changed my mind. I have to see other way to reduce it

You could also take all the fish out and put some nice guppies in to breed. If you don't want to breed guppies put something else in the pond.
Thats good idea. But which fish can stand in temperature range 13-30 degree?

You could trade in some of the grown guppy fry at you LFS or you could give them to people who want to keep them that are near you.

Most livebearers, rainbowfish, catfish, barbs. The main thing is the water chemistry (pH and GH). Get fish that are suited to that and put them in the pond in spring, they will breed and some of the young should survive winter and breed the following spring. Once they have been in the pond for a couple of years the young fish will be fine.

Most livebearers, rainbowfish, catfish, barbs. The main thing is the water chemistry (pH and GH). Get fish that are suited to that and put them in the pond in spring, they will breed and some of the young should survive winter and breed the following spring. Once they have been in the pond for a couple of years the young fish will be fine.
in this case, the guppies might have been breeding non-stop, which the pond is invaded by creatures that love to make babies all the time, and now you want to have birth control over the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back