Cycling With Dr. Tim's One And Only--Should I Add More Ammonia?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Issa2488

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
On the 10th of September I started cycling my 5 gallon with Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria. I put 10 drops of ammonia in that day. Two days later on the 12th I added the nitrifying bacteria. I didn't have both at the same time which is why I had to add them to the tank on different days. On the 13th I got an Ammonia level of 4.0 ppm, and a Nitrite and Nitrate reading of 0 ppm. Now on the 16th (today), I have a reading of: Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 2.0 ppm and Nitrate 20 ppm.

My question is: should I add more Ammonia or just wait until the nitrites begin to fall? I am afraid of starving the bacteria so any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

@ch4rlie...I have been following the directions and according to the directions both ammonia and nitrite should be 0 at this pt. But, the nitrites are still at 2.0 ppm. I just wash't sure if I should add more ammonia to not starve the bacteria I already have, just wait another day or two for nitrites to drop or do a pwc to drop the nitrites.

After reading the link you posted, it seems the cycle is in the final stages so it is probably best to wait to see if the nitrites will drop.

Thats what I would do at this point, wait 24 hours to see if nitrite drops.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back