cycling the tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ok a got a filter called marineland bio wheel penguin 100 power filter and a heater called tetra ht 30 100W submersible heater they didn't have the tims one and only or the tetra safe start

also can plants grow if i have a gravel subsrate
and should i get a thermometer

Last edited:
A thermometer helps to monitor the heater is working correctly.

Most plants sold at a lfs will be ok with a gravel substrate, if you can advise what you bought we can say for certain.

Add your water, put the heater in and turn the filter on. Add an ammonia source (I usually put some cheap fish flakes in an stocking and float it in the tank. Test for ammonia and nitrite. Once they both read 0 its safe to slowly add fish. Even using a bio starter it will still take a good week or more to cycle. There is no definitive time, its ready when its ready. Nothing good every happens fast when it comes to fish tanks.

If you mean Seachem Prime, that won't help with a fishless cycle as it is a dechlorinator. But it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite so it can help protect the fish during a fish-in cycle.

If you mean Seachem Prime, that won't help with a fishless cycle as it is a dechlorinator. But it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite so it can help protect the fish during a fish-in cycle.
so its useless

Prime is not useless. It treats the water by (I'm not going to go all sciency because my mind just went blank) making sure the chlorine and chloramine in municipal water does not kill your beneficial bacteria (which are part of your nitrogen cycle).

However it does not help at all to start a nitrogen cycle. For that you need an ammonia source.

Prime is not useless. It treats the water by (I'm not going to go all sciency because my mind just went blank) making sure the chlorine and chloramine in municipal water does not kill your beneficial bacteria (which are part of your nitrogen cycle).

However it does not help at all to start a nitrogen cycle. For that you need an ammonia source.
what could i use as an ammonia sorce

You need to buy a bottle of ammonia solution. Ace Hardware sells it if there's one near you. If not, you could try Ebay/Amazon. If you could find some of Dr Tim's ammonium chloride, that is good too.

Once you get your ammonia look at the calculator section (in How to Tips) as that will tell you amount you need. Then look at Cycling a Tank in the How to Tips for the method.

I should have explained that you need a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine/chloramine in tap water that would otherwise kill the bacteria you want to grow, but any dechlorinator will do that, it doesn't have to be Prime.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back