cycling the tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Get some media from a mature tank. A cycled tank can easily donate a quarter of it's media, as long as it's replaced with new, so the bacterial colonies can regrow.

Get some media from a mature tank. A cycled tank can easily donate a quarter of it's media, as long as it's replaced with new, so the bacterial colonies can regrow.
media? sorry what deos that mean

Media is anything that's in the filter, that bacteria can grow on.

You don't know anyone who has a tank or pond? It must be healthy, of course.

You could ask at your LFS, but that's riskier; you don't know what parasites or diseases might be in their system; I, personally, wouldn't advise that method.

If you can find a member here fairly near you, it might be worth getting some mature media sent to you; the bacteria can survive a few days, if it's not too cold and the media is packed in such a way as it stays damp.

If you have no mature media to call on, there's no way to shorten a cycle that I know of, apart from making sure the hardness of the water and the temperature are at optimum levels for the bacteria, which might mean buffering the water or turning the heat up past where most fish would be happy; around 28°C.

You don't know anyone who has a tank or pond? It must be healthy, of course.

You could ask at your LFS, but that's riskier; you don't know what parasites or diseases might be in their system; I, personally, wouldn't advise that method.

If you can find a member here fairly near you, it might be worth getting some mature media sent to you; the bacteria can survive a few days, if it's not too cold and the media is packed in such a way as it stays damp.

If you have no mature media to call on, there's no way to shorten a cycle that I know of, apart from making sure the hardness of the water and the temperature are at optimum levels for the bacteria, which might mean buffering the water or turning the heat up past where most fish would be happy; around 28°C.
my friend has a freshwater tank but he didn't cycle it so.... whats the other way. and im leaving to get a heater and filter in 10 minutes anything you could suggest

How long has your friend's tank been running? It might be cycled now, even if it wasn't cycled before the fish went in.

If your LFS has Dr Tim's One and Only, or Tetra Safe Start, they're worth a try, but only those two, none of the other so-called cycling products have the right kind of bacteria.

How long has your friend's tank been running? It might be cycled now, even if it wasn't cycled before the fish went in.

If your LFS has Dr Tim's One and Only, or Tetra Safe Start, they're worth a try, but only those two, none of the other so-called cycling products have the right kind of bacteria.
so i should get those and what about a heater filter

How big is your tank, and what sort of fish are you going to keep? I can't make recommendations without that information.

20 gallon tall neon tetra honey gourami and harlequin rasbora

A 100 watt heater, and a filter that turns over about 100 gallons an hour.

Any time you like. You can cycle with plants in if you want.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back