Cycling Tank With Lights Or Not?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

In a fish-in cycle the algae can actually be beneficial, as just like the plants, the algae will draw the ammonia out of the water.

Thanks to all for your helpful advice so far, much appreciated. 
yes.gif

Now, the story so far, today have taken out the 3 offending so called non aquatic plants according to my lfs (cordyline and 2 dracena plants)
They have now been rehomed as proper household plants. Luckily my girlfriend likes household place, so no problemo!!
wink.png

Also took out 2 or the 3 known pond snails. Could not find the 3rd one
sad.png

But not too worried about that unless a snail boom happens!!
ohmy.png

The plants for anyone interested are:

Java Fern (Microsurium pteropus)
Cryptocoryne Walkeri
Water Wisteria (Hygrophillia difformis)
Anubius (Anubias Barteri)
Twisted Corkscrew (Vallisneria spiralis)
Anacharis (Egeria densa)
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum subersum)
Green Cabomba (Cabomba caroliniana)

Apologies for any wrong names or spelling. Am sure someone will correct me! Lol 
laugh.png

I have tried to work out if my lighting is suitable and according to my calculations seems to be ok.
Anyone who could confirm or correct me would be great.
I have 2x T8 15w 18000K. (1 is at 35 lux and other is 50 lux) and tank is 90 litres (23 gallons US or 20 gallons imp)
Calculated 2 x 15w = 30w then 30 divided by 90lt = 0.3 to 0.4 watts per litre (1 to 2 watts per gallon)
I think this is basically low lighting so should be suitable for these plants 
huh.png

Had to change layout slightly but I think looks pretty good 
biggrin.png

fishtank2_zpsffcfd54e.jpg

I like the new layout!

Sorry for my mistake about algae and cycling.

As far as I know, low lighting is <1 wpg, medium lighting is 1-2 wpg and high lighting is >2 wpg. (I may be wrong though).
So, you have medium lighting which I think is fine for those plants :)

Hi Ch4rlie.  It sounds like I have had a similar set of events as you, purchased a tank from P@H, loads of plants and ended up with a household plant.  A week into the cycle and snails start appearing.  I have had my tank 2 weeks and have the lights on every day for 12-14hours, I have had a white fungus but worked out that was related to a product I was using that came with the tank (more bad advice from P@H).  I personally would not be able to do a cycle without my plants, love watching them as they seem to change daily - you will see from the pictures below how much my Green Cabomba has grown!!

I soon got addicted and have another bigger tank, that too is planted and nitrites are already showing after only 5 days - -Certain its related to adding a plant attached to a rock that was in a mature tank at P@H - This time I have learnt to wash the plants in dechlorinated water to get rid of snails and eggs.

My 48L tank when first purchased
20130708_154717.jpg

My tank with 2 weeks growth

LAC_0302.jpg

Blondiefish - Thanks for your comment about tank layout 
smile.png

No biggie about your comment about algae growth and lighting. I don't think there are actually any right or wrong answers as its one learning curve! And everyone has their own preferences for doing things their own way! 
wink.png

BTW thanks for your lighting confirmation as I believe now my lights on tank are definitely either low or med lighting, either one should be fine for my plants. I was more worried lighting was too high and might have affected plants. Yay! Thats something thats gone right anyway so far! 
happy.png

214jay - your tank plants looks absolutely lush now. Thats a difference from your first pic. Nice one 
yes.gif

Are your feeding your plants anything? Ferts, Co2 or anything? Tips to have lush looking plants like yours would be cool!
Looks like an Interpret/LoveFish panoramic 48 lt tank? I nearly bought the same model from P@H but 64 lt one. I decided wanted bigger tank at 90l which was priced at my maximum budget but on sale with £50 off at the time!
FYI I Don't really like the lighting hood on my Roma Tank, much preferred the one you have as access much easier and tidier!

Excellent tip BTW to was new plant with dechlorinated water to get rid of snails. Thanks for sharing your story
biggrin.png

Yes they grow by the day, quite amazing really! The only thing I have done is move plants around as learnt they were not planted correctly.  I suspect they are thriving from the ammonia being added to the tank (as its cycling) and I also have high nitrates in my tap water which probably helps.  I keep a close watch on them, hoping to avoid CO2 and hoping they help reduce the Nitrates coming from the tap water once I am cycled.  Yes its the Interpet 48L looked far bigger in the shop and got told we could have a lot of fish in there, it did not take long decide about getting the Roma 125L which was a great deal also - Not the nicest tank in the world but its a great size for a few more fish!

It sounds like you made the right choice of tank, 90L gives so many more options and happier fish!  I love the look of your tank, very natural!

FYI - This is my Roma 125, the plants are starting to settle in well now and they all appear to be growing.  I have gone for sand on this one after spending lots of time reading.
fish.gif

LAC_0369.jpg

Yeah agree with you, they not the nicest tanks available but decent enough for the money anyway! Most important thing is the bigger the tank the better for the fish 
smile.png

Nice layout, liking the sand! Gonna put something for background on you tank or let the plants grow and become your background?

It's certainly a start, prefer the sand I think, with a trumpet snail in there should be fun to watch.  Defintely going for a background, not keen on seeing wires, I'm thinking of printing something myself and carefully taping together on some card to stick on...Bit of a custom touch
smile.png

That little grassy plant (Eleocharis) is going wild at the moment, lots of roots that are sprouting new shoots...Think I will have an underwater lawn soon!!

Good luck with designing and printing own background.

Don't think will be easy but I would not use card, maybe something like decent quality glossy photograph paper then you can print out anything that you want, use photoshop or something like that to do designs and put together however many sheets (probably A4 sized being biggest to use on own home printer) you need for back of tank. Trick is not to see the lines between each sheet.

Or you can go to a digital printing company and they will print that out your design (use a memory stick) on whatver sized media/paper you want, obviously not free but may be worth it to have something of you own design. 
happy.png

Giving you some pointers as not that easy to do and girlfriend was a graphic designer!! 

Not a bad idea actually, beginning to grow on me the more I think about that idea!!! Thanks, lol!

Lol about your Elocharis becoming underwater tank lawn. Need to train your fish to cut grass with a tiny lawnmower!! 
laugh.png

Thanks for the advice, very wise words! Fortunately I run my own business (Garden Design and Landscape Architecture which is mostly designing in the office) and I do a lot of work in photoshop -  I have access to a A0 plotter (not mine but a clients) so I should be able to plot a design on that, even if it is a nice photo rather than my own design.  I was hoping to print on glossy paper and somehow stick it to card, almost like a presentation piece but maybe I should stick it to something more solid like perspex or ply...

Otherwise, if I run out of time I have an A3 printer with glossy paper in the office which I could combine with some selotape.  Thinking about it...Maybe it could be a sound business plan, custom backgrounds for aquariums!!

Yes was thinking of getting some shrimp with some strong legs to push an aqua-lawnmower around! 
laugh.png

Hey, there you go! And here's me telling you how to do your job!! LOL 
laugh.png

That makes much more sense now and having a handy A3 printer with glossy media will help a lot. Good luck with your designs in that case.

We have an A3 printer as well so may go down that road later when i get fed up of my background pic and get my girlfriend to do proper photoshop (am only a mere novice and can only do basic stuff!) and design something to my liking.

Not a bad idea to have a sideline doing custom backgrounds for aquariums.
wink.png

The choices of backgrounds are fairly limited so i did not have much choice in choosing which background i wanted and any lfs including large pets@home. In the end just gave up and chose one at random!

Anyhow, good luck and have fun with designs!

Let me know how you get on with that. Am interested! 
smile.png

Ha ha, not to worry
good.gif
I will post some pics when I eventually get around to it!  You should certainly make use of your GF's skills, sure she could come up with some great designs!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back