Cycling Questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

vicstar078

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 60 litre tank and have brought a Juwel 190 litre corner tank.

I have filled it up with water and put the pump on ready.. now what?

My fish are still in the small tank.

How do I start the cycle off?

Can I put fish food in there to make ammonia as I do not have any pure ammonia?

Do I need the heater on as well?

Thanks

Vicky

we have a great cycling resource center - - check it out http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=141944

you could start up your cycle by taking some of the matured media out of the small tank (not all other wise you will have your fish in an uncycling tank while trying to start another cycled tank = headache and sick fish!

read up on the link above, it is really helpful when it comes to getting a tank ready for fish!

So you want to do a fishless cycle the big tank, but the little tank is already cycled? Or is the little tank in a fish-in cycle?

If you're doing a fishless cycle, I would purchase some household ammonia from boots or homebase if you're in the UK. An API test kit is also pretty much essential for either way you cycle. I also found getting the two plastic syringes they sell at boots useful for adding the ammonia - use the calculator on the beginners section to work out dosing).

Assuming your substrate is in the big tank too? I would put the filter and the heater on. Set the heater to 29degrees, the higher temp aids bacterial growth.

The first stage of the cycle is getting the ammonia to process into nitrites. I would add 5ppm of nitrites at either morning or evening(reason for this is that later on in the cycle you will need to test 12 hours after you've added the ammonia). Now, you've added the 5ppm, test the same time everyday (just once) until that ammonia goes to 0. This is called an add and wait fishless cycle. Repeat the process of converting ammonia into nitrites within 24 hours and your onto the second stage of the three main stages.

It'd be a good idea to start a log posting your results in some sort of decent order

best of luck :good:

Personally I would do single tests until you noticed a difference in Ammonia and Nitrite. As soon as you see a difference I would start testing twice a day; one morning and night.

The tests I do usually get done around 8-11am and then usually 8-11pm, once the Ammonia starts processing the double test will allow you work out the best time to add more Ammonia. Adding it when it hasn't finished the first dose isn't great, however not adding it because it's still at 1ppm and then waiting another 24 hours wouldn't optimise it. With double tests you will find an optimal 24 hour time in which you can chose to suit you!

^ Thats from my experience so far, I don't think I would be where I am now if I only did one test a day.

Thanks for your posts.

My other tank is in a fish in cycle (nightmare). It has been running a month and a half and is still not cycled. I have to do a water change and tesdt everyday.

I think I may have too many fish in a 60 litre and this is the reason it is not cycling. Thats why I have brought a new tank.

Can I not use food to make the ammonia or do I have to buy some?

Food has to degrade, I've noticed a few members starting it with fish food and giving up because its not accurate nor effective

I have now added two mollies to cycle the tank as I could not get ammonia.

is two enough for a 190 litre tank approx?

Check the 'fish-in cycling' link at the bottom of my signature line. and get ready to do lots of water changes! The 2 mollies will start to produce waste that will convert into ammonia pretty quickly. A good testing kit (not strip) is essential.

Don't add any more fish until you have seen a spike, then seen that spike go down to 0 for ammonia AND nitrIte - it's frustrating having to wait but not as frustrating as scooping dead fish out of your tank. I've been there myself. It works out in the end as long as you are patient and methodical.

Good luck

Check the 'fish-in cycling' link at the bottom of my signature line. and get ready to do lots of water changes! The 2 mollies will start to produce waste that will convert into ammonia pretty quickly. A good testing kit (not strip) is essential.

Don't add any more fish until you have seen a spike, then seen that spike go down to 0 for ammonia AND nitrIte - it's frustrating having to wait but not as frustrating as scooping dead fish out of your tank. I've been there myself. It works out in the end as long as you are patient and methodical.

Good luck

Yeah thanks. I already have a 60 litre fish in cycle so I have an idea. I have to do a water change every night for that one but its not getting any better so I guess its because there is too many fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back