Cycling Question - To add ammonia or not?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jakebert

Reaction score
Hi folks!

First, let me say how helpful the resources on this forum have been setting up my tank. It's been invaluable, especially the article on cycling.

I am 10 days into my cycle on my 5.5 gallon. I started with Dr. Tim's One and Only.

Two days ago, my ammonia dropped to 1 ppm, so I added 3 ppm to get it back to 4.

Yesterday, it dropped to 2 ppm, so I didn't add anything.

Today it is down to .25 ppm. Nitrites have been at or above 5 ppm for three days. Nitrates are just starting to show, under 5 ppm.

I've looked at the relevant guides and can't quite figure out where to go from here. Do I add more ammonia? If so, how much?

Just keep adding what you have been until there is nothing but nitrates. Keep the BB fed

Following the fishless cycling method on here is the best method. If followed exactly, the nitrite level can never get high enough to stall the cycle.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

The first thing is that the second addition of ammonia was too early. You should have waited until ammonia was below 0.75 and nitrite was above 2 ppm. And never add ammonia to bring the level higher than 3 ppm.

Going forward, test every other day, not every day. You need to continue like this until you test one day and get zero ammonia, then test 2 days later and get another zero ammonia. Do nothing till the second zero. On this day, add only 1 ppm ammonia, not 3 ppm. Continue testing until you have ammonia at 0.25 or less and nitrite at below 1.0 ppm. Once you have these readings add another 3 ppm ammonia and test 24 hours later.
*If both are zero, the cycle has finished. If one or both are not zero, wait until you have less than 0.25 ppm ammonia and less than 1.0 ppm nitrite and at that point add 3 ppm ammonia and test after 24 hours. Repeat from * as many times as necessary until both are zero 24 hours after adding ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back