Cycling Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

angelmouse

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Advie needed. I,m going to cycle my tank with the heavily planted tank method(with 2x nutrafin co2). I am going to use filter media from another tank and some of the old substrate in bags to help speed the cycle. i`ll be using r/o water mix.
Do you think this will be ok? how soon should i add a couple of fish.

i`m also putting a layered laterite and and sand top substrate in. i have a little ada aqua soil, would it be ok to mix this with the laterite.

Thanks Angel

I presume when you say cycle you mean fishless cycle. If you have a heavily planted tank do not fishless cycle it using ammonia. There is no need. Fishless cycling is great for non planted tanks and works well but you are asking for trouble by adding ammonia to a planted tank that is well lit. What you are doing by adding filter media from another tank is great. It'll be safe to add fish straight away - just don't overdo it too fast.

Substrate sounds OK but remember it'll soon get all mixed up together when replanting etc. If this is OK with you then it's good.

James

I`ve heard of people using dividers, maybee a plastic strip about 1.5 inches high. to seperate some sand at the front and just put sand/laterite in back 3/4. Not sure if it will work or what i`ll use.
Angel

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back