Cycling My New Tank With My Old Filter.how Long Before I Can Add The F

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tha pint

Reaction score
I've eventually got my rio 240 set up and I'm using the fluval 405 filter that has been used for ages in a well cycled tank. If I moved the filter across with all the bog wood that has also been in the old tank for ages how long do you reckon I should wait before I add the fish. I've a digital temp reader so ill match the temp first.

As long as the tank can process 3ppm of ammonia and process the nitrite in 24 hours you can go ahead and stock the tank.

If it can't, once the ammonia is down to 0 then add a 3ppm dose, keep doing this until the ammonia and nitrite is processed in 24 hours :)

Happy days. So basically let it run until tomorrow and if all tests are good go ahead and stock. I'm waiting to see if the bacteria can handle the ammonia and nitrite?

You need to add a source of ammonia to the tank. To find out where you can buy ammonia from, have a look here.

Do you have a test kit?

I only have the dreaded strip tests but I checked and everything was good . I don't have ammonia test or ammonia to add but the nitrite was low and everything else seemed to be in place. Should I do a 20% water change every couple of days just to keep it in check?

You need to be able to test for ammonia and be able to add it. otherwise we don't know if it is safe for you to add fish or not.
It would be ebst if you could buy some ammonia and an ammonia test. API does a good liquid master test kit that is pretty cheap.

Pretty cheap means thirty dollars. Lol. But it is the best one. I havefound pure ammonia at Walmart by the ckeaning section.

Most reactions

trending

Back