Cycling doesn't make sense

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tigernewbie

Reaction score
I'm having serious issues with cycling my tank. I have a 29 gallon with 3 tiger barbs (left from 9). The nitrite has been zero but the ammonia continues to climb. I was doing 50% water changes every day (huge HUGE PAIN). I let the tank be while I went on vacation. It's been over a week and the ammonia is higher than ever now. I feel like I'm fighting a hopeless battle. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help!

I'm having serious issues with cycling my tank. I have a 29 gallon with 3 tiger barbs (left from 9). The nitrite has been zero but the ammonia continues to climb. I was doing 50% water changes every day (huge HUGE PAIN). I let the tank be while I went on vacation. It's been over a week and the ammonia is higher than ever now. I feel like I'm fighting a hopeless battle. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help!
I forgot to add I've had this tank up and running for at least 6 weeks now. I have been using prime as a recommendation I got on here and I feel like my fish act worse when I use that than without it

As there are fish in the tank, I would absolutely use a good bacterial supplement. Tetra's Safe Start is good. I have used Seachem's Stability with success.

Prime is fine, but it can be overdone. Only add sufficient for the amount of fresh water added at the water change.

What is the pH?

It can take over two months for the cycle to complete. Continue with the daily water changes. If you havent already, i would do a 90-100% water change since the ammonia is high, taking care not to splash water onto the filter from the tap.

Keep using prime, it is saving your fish. Use a biological starter as Byron suggested but i recommend buying an expensive one. In my experience, cheaper ones only help with the nitrites and not ammonia. Check the expiry date when buying the product, fresher ones are more likely to work.

What is your ph? Any ph lower 7 will actually make ammonia not toxic to fish. But it is dangerous to alter ph unless you know what you are doing.

Feed your fish 2-3 pellets/flakes each once every two days. No more than that till cycle completes.

Plant or leave floating in the tank heavily with fast growing plants. As the plants grow, they will absorb ammonia. Make sure the plants you buy are compatible with your water parameters particularly temperature, gh, ph and light intensity.

If you are really tired of the daily water changes, rehome your fish and let the cycle run its course.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back